Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Upper Lip Tie

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Liz
  • 8 Replies
Colin is now 5 weeks old and since day one he has been nursing pretty well. However, every once in a while I have noticed that he has a little trouble latching. He's also been very gassy. Anyway, I was skyping with my friend who is a lactation consultant and telling her the small issues I've had. She told me she thought that it sounds like he has an upper lip tie. She had me flip up his lip and sure enough there it is. So now it looks like I will be attempting to get him an appointment with his pediatrician before his two month appointment on jan 22 so I can get a referral to a pediatric dentist/ENT since the military doesn't employ them at the on post hospital or clinics and the only way the procedure will be covered by Tricare (military insurance) is to get a referral to an off post facility first. I hate dealing with Tricare for anything because they are just awful. Here's hoping I don't have to yell at anyone to get this taken care of. What a way to start the New Year. Ugh
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Gonzo318
by Rachelle on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM
That sucks I'm sorry :-/
Harris06
by Megan on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I'm sorry. :( Maybe it won't be as bad or as much of a hassle as you think it will be. Hey, one can dream, right? ;)

Proud Navy wife, a mother to 3 toddler girlpregnant belly with #4; boy or girl?? We shall see.

Do you have a child who was born in September 2011? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

December 2013 Babies group mod

mnkymommy08
by Liz on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
It doesn't seem too severe since he's been nursing pretty well since day one and weighs in at 10 lbs even at the moment. And since he was 7 lbs 6 oz when discharged from the hospital its obvious he's gaining weight (he'll be 5 weeks old on Friday). I am glad it was found now though before it affects him orthodontically or causes speech delays later on. I'm just hoping they don't give me too much trouble with getting it taken care of. They can be a huge PITA sometimes.

Quoting Gonzo318: That sucks I'm sorry :-/
sarajordan2008
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Good luck getting tricare to cover anything that is in their mouth...
mnkymommy08
by Liz on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM
It doesn't seem to be too severe as he's been nursing pretty well and is now a whopping 10 lbs at almost 5 weeks old (he was 7lbs 6oz at discharge). I'm just glad it was found now before it affected him orthodontically or with speech later on. I think I'd be dreaming pretty big to think its not going to be a hassle. Especially with the government auditing budgets the way they are right now. We are waiting to hear on whether our BAH is going to be lowered or not. We'll find out the verdict on that when we get back to El Paso on Sunday.

Quoting Harris06:

I'm sorry. :( Maybe it won't be as bad or as much of a hassle as you think it will be. Hey, one can dream, right? ;)

mnkymommy08
by Liz on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I know. Its going to be a huge fight most likely. But this is one fight I'm willing to do since it will affect him later on with speech and orthodontically if not taken care of.

Quoting sarajordan2008: Good luck getting tricare to cover anything that is in their mouth...
sarajordan2008
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Landon's is tied to his gums on top. It is so bad I cried the first time I saw him b/c I was sure he wasn't going to be able to latch!

Quoting mnkymommy08: I know. Its going to be a huge fight most likely. But this is one fight I'm willing to do since it will affect him later on with speech and orthodontically if not taken care of.

Quoting sarajordan2008: Good luck getting tricare to cover anything that is in their mouth...
mnkymommy08
by Liz on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Colin's is tied to where the space between his two front teeth are. He latches pretty well most of the time but he is always extremely gassy and will get fussy in the middle of feeding sometimes and start to squirm. He's gaining weight fine but I want to get this taken care of now when its only a short procedure with no anaesthesia needed (after a certain point it becomes necessary) and before it affects his teeth coming in properly and causes speech delays. I'm really hoping that his pediatrician will do the referral and that Tricare doesn't make it harder than it has to be.

Quoting sarajordan2008: Landon's is tied to his gums on top. It is so bad I cried the first time I saw him b/c I was sure he wasn't going to be able to latch!

Quoting mnkymommy08: I know. Its going to be a huge fight most likely. But this is one fight I'm willing to do since it will affect him later on with speech and orthodontically if not taken care of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)