Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am worried Layla isn't eating enough, but idk what to do. Since Dec. 17th she's only gained 6ozs. She is 7lbs, as of Monday. I stopped tracking her feedings, and let her nurse on demand, but she doesn't nurse very much. If I do wake her up to eat, she will only nurse a couple minutes and go to sleep, if I let her tell me when she wants to eat she will eat for 20 minutes to an hour.

I feel like I may be starving her. Then these past few days have been worse cause she is sick and only wants to sleep. I have just been leaving her latched on so she can wake up and snack. Should I be really worried, or do some babies just gain slowly?

The doctor didn't seem worried, but we go back on the 21st and I think if she hasn't gained enough she might be.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nshearon
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
How many wet diapers is she having? As long as she has plenty of wet diapers, she should be fine.
katallison
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM
She's having no less than 6 a day. And has a bowel movement after almost every feeding. Not big ones, but she has at least 1 big one a day.

Quoting nshearon: How many wet diapers is she having? As long as she has plenty of wet diapers, she should be fine.
nshearon
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Sounds pretty good to me. Some babies don't gain quickly. Which is perfectly normal. As long as her diapers are good, she's fine. :)

Quoting katallison: She's having no less than 6 a day. And has a bowel movement after almost every feeding. Not big ones, but she has at least 1 big one a day.

Quoting nshearon: How many wet diapers is she having? As long as she has plenty of wet diapers, she should be fine.
katallison
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Yay, that's what I wanted to hear. Lol

Quoting nshearon: Sounds pretty good to me. Some babies don't gain quickly. Which is perfectly normal. As long as her diapers are good, she's fine. :)

Quoting katallison: She's having no less than 6 a day. And has a bowel movement after almost every feeding. Not big ones, but she has at least 1 big one a day.

katallison
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Yay, that's what I wanted to hear. Lol

Quoting nshearon: Sounds pretty good to me. Some babies don't gain quickly. Which is perfectly normal. As long as her diapers are good, she's fine. :)

MommyJill87
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM
This. Your milk IS enough :)

polkaspots
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Your little one is a day older than mine! Baby is expected to lose weight the first week, gain it back the second and start gaining past birthweight during third week of life. So right now as long as baby is above birth weight and making enough diapers, there's no reason to be concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugarcrisp
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:49 AM

You are in the clear then. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)