Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Nurses

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM
  • 9 Replies
So I want to be a labor and delivery nurse. I'm going to a community college to do a few classes that I need towards my degree but mainly to get my gpa up to go. I was reading online and nurses are needed on the rise but said labor and delivery will decrease in need overtime. I might go in a different direction when I start school that's what a teacher said so maybe.

If your a nurse how was school?? Was it harder than you thought?? Any advice?? How much did you pay for college?? Are you paying loans back?? How much was your starting salary when you got your first job?? What's your area of nursing??

Sorry for all the questions lol. You can message me if it's better just wanted some insight. Thanks.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sugarcrisp
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I went through half of nursing school and it was HELL.

My mom is a nurse. She cried more often than not when she got home from school.

linnyleo
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a nurse but I did go to community college and then to a 4-yr school. I took out loans for the whole shebang and it's torture paying them back. We pay $500 a month and will pay for about 10 years. That's just my loans too, we pay another $600 for DH's.

I think it's awesome that you want to go to school and get a career to support your family!! Just be very careful about loans and what they mean. We weren't properly educated about loans and they are so easy to get and seem like a godsend at the time. If I could go back and find a different way to do things, I definitely would.
mrs.hartman12
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I agree with this. DH and I have just under 30K left on our student loans and neither one of us are using our education. I would look hard at the benefit risk factor and make sure that you will get your investment back. I would talk to lots of people in the medical field too, with the ACA a lot of people are no longer pursuing medical degrees and leaving the field. 

Quoting linnyleo: I'm not a nurse but I did go to community college and then to a 4-yr school. I took out loans for the whole shebang and it's torture paying them back. We pay $500 a month and will pay for about 10 years. That's just my loans too, we pay another $600 for DH's. I think it's awesome that you want to go to school and get a career to support your family!! Just be very careful about loans and what they mean. We weren't properly educated about loans and they are so easy to get and seem like a godsend at the time. If I could go back and find a different way to do things, I definitely would.

dlane12152007
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM
I started off going to school taking pre reqs for a nursing program never even applied to the program. I ended up going to school to be an occupational therapy assistant.
staci1103
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I graduated from nursing school in 1992 and it was very difficult.  Academically I did great but it was a very rigorous program and time consuming. I was 21 when I started and I wasn't married nor had children.  I don't know if I could have made it if I had a household and kids to care for. I've worked in many areas which is the great thing about being a nurse. I've done surgical, medical, pediatrics, ICU, home care, office nursing.  Great experience.  I can't remember know what my salary was when I first started to be honest.  

Azure
by Representative on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I haven't been, but just wanted to ditto about the loans and say good luck.

pearsonsec
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to nursing school in 2005 with two kids and going thru a break up and moving it wasn't hard but it wasn't easy it.took hard work and being in a strict schedule. I am happy I went I love.my job. I started nursimg.in 2007 and made 20 an hour now.its 30 I have done er, med surg, home visits and even hospice paying them back hasn't started because I stay in school and keep th defered.

That's the loop hole. But when you do start paying them back you can pay as little or as much as you set up with the loan company. I am going to go back for my bsn here very soon. Good luck and if it's something you truly want to do put.your kind to it and you will do.t let any one deter you.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I graduated with my BSN last May. School was okay. It wasn't super hard academically, but the program is challenging in it's own way and very time consuming. I'm not sure how much I paid for college, but at the school I went to, tuition was about 7k a year and nursing classes were an extra $100 dollars per credit hour (so taking 12 credit hours, which is full time, was an extra $1200 per semester). I graduated with about $10,000 in loans, but was very fortunate to have already paid it off. My starting salary base pay is $18.35, but that's much lower than the average. I live in a city that doesn't pay nurses well :( I work in NICU and LOVE my job :)
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Dh wants to be a nurse. His MGIB will pay for it. Study and don't leave y ourself to one option. I was looking at USAJOBS and they start at 40 some odd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)