Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you pick your baby's name?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:18 AM
  • 15 Replies
We picked Lydia just because. Lol! We weren't expecting a girl because my husband's family is all boys and we already have 1 son, so we started picking boys names when we found out I was pregnant.

Once we found out we were having a girl we would just randomly throw out names whenever we'd think of one, and one dayy husband said "Lydia" and I liked it! Haha

I know we all have different reasons whether it's a family member or a TV show (I really wanted to name her "River" as an homage to Doctor Who and Firefly but hubby was not having it. Lol)

So I'm jusr curious. Why did you pick the name you did? Was is the meaning behind the name? Did it just "sound good" or what?

I'd love to know! :)
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BraydensMama163
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually my 8 year old had a dream when I was around 7 weeks pregnant that we were having a boy and he told me we named him hagen Grey so I talked to dh about it, looked up its origins and we decided OK its a good name. So technically my 8 year old named the baby.

My 5 year old now wants a turn to name a baby. So I'm summer, she is autumn, if the new baby is a girl she wants to name her winter. Of course we wouldn't call a baby winter but possibly Winnie or whatever other name we pick for her.
Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

We had been tossing around the name Margaux and another name but couldn't really decide which we liked. My husband was deployed at the time and was in France. One day while he was out looking for souveniers for our other daughters he was looking at name stamps and the only name that they had in all of the names was 'Margaux.' We took that as our sign that that was to be her name; spelling and all.

mnkymommy08
by Liz on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Colin's first name came about because I promised my Aunt (who passed when DD#2 was 2 months old) that if I ever had a boy I would use my cousin's name (he passed away when we were younger and he was My best friend) somewhere. His middle names (Edward Ray) are a tribute to my FIL who passed when DH was a baby. So he's Colin Edward Ray. Originally DH wanted Edward Colin Ray but it sounded too much like the vampire guy and we already have an Isabella so we changed it. Lol. And since DH "knew" we were having a boy we didn't discuss a girl name at all. Oh, and just for the record I totally agree with the tribute to Doctor Who and Firefly. That would have been so cool. I love Lydia too though.
staci1103
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

We found out at 11 weeks we were having a boy so we didn't bother even thinking of girls names.  We were actually watching the news and a man named Blaise was being interviewed.  We looked at each other and said wow what a cool name.  We spell it Blaze tho.

Azure
by Representative on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Quoting mnkymommy08: Colin's first name came about because I promised my Aunt (who passed when DD#2 was 2 months old) that if I ever had a boy I would use my cousin's name (he passed away when we were younger and he was My best friend) somewhere. His middle names (Edward Ray) are a tribute to my FIL who passed when DH was a baby. So he's Colin Edward Ray. Originally DH wanted Edward Colin Ray but it sounded too much like the vampire guy and we already have an Isabella so we changed it. Lol. And since DH "knew" we were having a boy we didn't discuss a girl name at all. Oh, and just for the record I totally agree with the tribute to Doctor Who and Firefly. That would have been so cool. I love Lydia too though.

I'd actually wondered if Edward Cullen had anything to do with your name choice.

Azure
by Representative on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

All of our children are named for heroes, either IRL or fictional.

With this one, we were having real trouble with a girl's name. I like Samantha a LOT, but DH HATES it. I also like Victoria, and DH isn't a fan of that. But I dislike all the girl's names he was ok with. We both liked Lana but didn't want her to get teased for it spelling ANAL backwards. So we finally decided on Thora. We both liked that one, and it goes well with her middle name of Raine.

Turtledoves
by Representative on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

For my daughter, it was super easy. I always knew I wanted a Katie, since I was little. When my husband and I were dating, he mentioned once that he always wanted his first daughter named Katie. Guess what our daughter's name is? lol. I came across the idea of the middle name Belle and instantly knew it was hers. I asked Dh and he loved it to, it just clicked. Super easy!

Dh wanted a junior, so that's how we came up with Will's name. It took some convincing from him, but I finally agreed.

We have the names for our next baby picked out already. Our girl is going to be named after my great grandmother, who was a full blooded Italian and an amazing cook. I have all of her recipes, so I'd love to have a namesake to pass them down to. Her middle name is to represent Cinderella. Each of our girls has a princess middle name. 

Our boy is going to be Vincent, a name I fell in love with when I was about 16. That and Atticus are my favorite boy names, but DH hated Atticus.

Turtledoves
by Representative on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I love your River tribute. I'd be lying if I said I haven't considered names based off of great tv shows. (And I LOVE River on Doctor Who and Firefly!)

Turtledoves
by Representative on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

DH loves winter and I have a habit of picking names inspired by princesses for our girl middle names, so had Will been a girl, he was going to be Cecelia Snow. I loved it for a winter baby. We're not using it for our next baby now, but I still have a soft spot for it.

Quoting BraydensMama163: Actually my 8 year old had a dream when I was around 7 weeks pregnant that we were having a boy and he told me we named him hagen Grey so I talked to dh about it, looked up its origins and we decided OK its a good name. So technically my 8 year old named the baby. My 5 year old now wants a turn to name a baby. So I'm summer, she is autumn, if the new baby is a girl she wants to name her winter. Of course we wouldn't call a baby winter but possibly Winnie or whatever other name we pick for her.

toddler girlbaby boypuppy

Katie Belle- 7.2.11 & Will - 12.27.13

WeWantMaia
by Trinity on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I am very strong in my Christian faith and love names of the Hebrew origin. I picked Maia's name when I was in high school, and prayed that my future husband would love it as well so I could use it, thank God he did! Maia is Hebrew and means 'close to God', and I LOVE that meaning, and her middle name, Faith, I just felt fit well. When I say her name, it also sometimes sounds like 'my faith', which I like as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)