Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

balanced approach to dieting??

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 301 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Does anyone have some tips for balancing out things with dieting?

I have been doing the low carb thing and it worked really well for 2 weeks but now I just can't get over my cravings for simple healthy things that are high in carbs like apples, oatmeal, while wheat toast, skim milk etc. I feel like the low carb thing must not be for me if I am constantly "cheating" with an apply and milk.

I have tried just counting calories in the past and my problem is that it is so hard to keep track of calories with homemade meals. I did WW for awhile but I can't pay for it anymore and once again - it was hard for me to keep track when I was making homemade meals.

Is anyone just trying to take a healthy balanced approach. I feel like if I do that the weight wont come off as quickly as the low carb diet but I dont know how much I can even try to do low carb. Maybe I should do 2 weeks of low carb and 2 weeks of calorie counting and just switch back and forth? I dont know!

What do you ladies think?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MiKaLa881
by Mikala on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I don't count calories or points. It is tough when it comes to homemade meals. I eat small things during the day that are healthy (sandwiches, fruit, veggies, granola bars, things of that nature). Then I cook a meal at night. I usually make a meat, vegetable and potatoes for DH. I eat a serving of meat and as many vegetables as I want and stay away from the potatoes. It has worked for me not going crazy with the calorie counting. I also make sure I drink a ton of water. I do keep track of my water intake. I drink half of my body weight every day.

I am not a fan of things that cut out something completely. To me, there is no reason you should feel like you're cheating with having an apple or a glass of milk. Those things are good for you and help round out a healthy diet. What I do works for me, it might not for everyone else.

I'm sure this hasn;t been much help to you lol. I just wanted to let you know what I do personally.

ShellBeth
by Michelle on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No I think it has been a good help! I think starting Monday (I just bought a bunch of low-carb foods for this weekend) I am going to try to take just a more balanced approach and see what happens. Having toast and OJ in the morning; an apple with my lunch; and whole wheat pasta for dinner sounds like HEAVEN! HAHA. I could eat all of that in like 800 calories and be it total bliss! HAHA.

DavonnaC
by Davonna on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Once you figure it out make sure you let me know! ;)

Seximama23
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Eat good carbs, your allowed good carbs. Actually if you follow a diabetic guide line you will be amazed.

I followed it last summer and I lost like 5 lbs in 1 week and lost about 2.5 the second week.

Grains: 6 servings a day= 1 slice of bread, 1 cup dry ceral, 1/2 cup cooked pasta or rice

Milk(in cups): 3 servings= 1 cup milk or yogurt, 1 1/2 ounces natural cheese

Veggies(in cups): 2 1/2 servings= 1 cup most veggies, 2 cups leafy greens

Fruit(in cups) 2 servings= 1 cup fruit or 100% juice, 1/2 cup dried fruit SO you can have a small apple if its about the size of a baseball

Meat and beans(in ounces) 5 servings = 1 ounce meat, poultry or fish, 1 egg, 1/2 ounce nuts, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1/4 cup cooked beans

and cottege cheese goes in the meat and beans catagory because its considered a protein not a dairy

I am slowy trying to get back to this eating guideline.

And part of the reason I love this so much is because when you use the plate portions of a diabetic it allows 1 startch, so if you cook corn  or peas (these are considered a startch) dont make a potatoe or noodles. But you can have carrots and green beans with pasta or a potatoe servings. What I did was for myself I would have 1/2 cup cooked carrots and 1/2 cup romain blend salad with 1 tablespoon dressing, 1 serving of meat and then my startch

ShellBeth
by Michelle on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I talked to DH last night about this (he is a big health nut and body builder) and he thinks I should give it a try. If I start to gain again or stagnate then I will just go back to low carb. So tonight is my cheat night (friends coming over and I am making seafood bisque YUM) and then tomorrow I get to have some oatmeal and OJ for breakfast! Hopefully the balanced approach will work as well!

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I have a solution to this. No counting calories, no low carbs non of it. Please message me

ShellBeth
by Michelle on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Well I had a big glass of OJ and a big glass of milk yesterday. It was heaven! I will weigh again in a few days to see if I am gaining as I try to add higher carb things but even if I can only do it for a week - I am in milk bliss!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)