Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yummy or Yucky

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

In keeping with our goal of eating healthy, I make meals (mostly) from scratch for our family. We sit down together to eat, catch up on our day, and do our best to make sure our kids get at least some vegetables into their stomach before they are excused from the table.

Pre-children, I was determined that my children would eat anything put in front of them. They ... don't. Of course they don't. Pre-children me was pretty smug and thought she had it all figured out. Hahahahahahahaha.

When my eldest started school, they had cooking class and all of the kids had to take just one bite and then decide if it was "yummy or yucky." Brilliant! We incorporated this at home and the kids have to take one bite before saying they don't like it.  Most of the time, they are pleasantly surprised that they like the new dish I served. If there's something they deem "yucky", I still serve it to them the next time it is made and they have to take one bite again. Often, after a number of tries, the "yucky" turns to "yummy."

Do you have picky eaters? What tricks do you use to get your kids to try new foods or eat healthier options?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM

My kids aren't overly picky.  I've always offered them healthy choices so they have grown up accustomed to them.  I also have the one bite rule.  If there is a food they absolutely do not like, I don't make them eat it.

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I don't have a picky eater because I never allowed him to be.

goddess99
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

As my dd has gotten older she has been less and less picky. She will try any food now.

arpazia
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM
That's a good idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

My dd can be picky at times.  She will however, try anything at least once.

timon95
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM

yes, we are a house full of picky eaters, i am at least willing to try a few new things

sukainah
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I totally have picky eaters.  I try to change the texture of foods, seems like texture has a lot to do with why they are picky.

aneela
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM

my 6 year old isnt picky...my husband on the other hand...

jessicasmom1
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Yummy

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I kind of do that with my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)