Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In keeping with our goal of eating healthy, I make meals (mostly) from scratch for our family. We sit down together to eat, catch up on our day, and do our best to make sure our kids get at least some vegetables into their stomach before they are excused from the table.

Pre-children, I was determined that my children would eat anything put in front of them. They ... don't. Of course they don't. Pre-children me was pretty smug and thought she had it all figured out. Hahahahahahahaha.

When my eldest started school, they had cooking class and all of the kids had to take just one bite and then decide if it was "yummy or yucky." Brilliant! We incorporated this at home and the kids have to take one bite before saying they don't like it.  Most of the time, they are pleasantly surprised that they like the new dish I served. If there's something they deem "yucky", I still serve it to them the next time it is made and they have to take one bite again. Often, after a number of tries, the "yucky" turns to "yummy."

Do you have picky eaters? What tricks do you use to get your kids to try new foods or eat healthier options?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-32):
slw123
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I do have one picky child.  I can usually get him to eat a few bites of the things he thinks he doesn't like.  He may even say it's good, but then next time we have to fight again.

My daughter will eat anything we put in front of her, I'm really lucky with that one  =)

batjmom
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I offer a new food a couple different ways the first time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)