Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Limit Screen Time

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

Between my "main" job of being an online facilitator (teacher) of accounting courses and my other "main" job of being a freelance writer, I spend a lot of time on the computer. The majority of the time I spend on the computer is work-related (No, really), but I like to surf for fun just like the next girl.

My kids' online time is limited to Minecraft (I don't understand it, either) and a little bit of T.V. Now that the snow has melted, their zoning-out privileges have been scaled WAY back. They get home from school, have a snack and get a half-hour of screen time, and then they are outside until dinner. They jump on the trampoline, they ride bikes, the swing on our swingset. I don't care what they do, really, as long as they're outside.

I'll be outside, too, unless I have a deadline or I'm cooking dinner, and my husband only comes inside if he absolutely has to. We have an acreage and he loves to putter. Everyone's happier when they're outside in the fresh air and they're also healthier. If it's a cooler day and the kids want to come in, I let them (of course), but they have to read a book or build with LEGO or do something non-screen-related.

Do you have limits on your kids' screen time? Do you make an effort to just get outside?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM

At this time, I do not need to limit their screen time because they are so active but as they age if it becomes an issue, I will. They love to play outside and use their imagination!

mrswillie
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I really don't have to, since our kids are active.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

We do. I limit them to about an hour before bed.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I do limit screen time.  They get 1 movie maybe 3 times a week & that's it.  They don't watch tv shows at all - unless they see what I'm watching.

I don't get outside as much.  But my boys go out a lot - I love our fenced in backyard for this reason!  They can go out & I can keep an eye on them from inside the house as needed.

sanj1213
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Yes! Otherwise he'll watch too much tv.
GwenMB
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

We do. I limit them to about an hour before bed.

Do your kids have trouble getting to sleep, getting enough sleep?  I've read that it takes our brain a few hours to turn off after watching tv or using the computer so it can be harder to get to sleep, stay asleep & get enough sleep if you watch tv or use the computer just before bed.

sanj1213
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
We go outside everyday for atleast 1 hour. Unless its raining then we think of other ways to get some exercise inside the house.
Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

yes

copperswifey
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM

yes we do. It's been hard lately we haven't had good weather. We are still waiting for spring. It's supposed to snow here on Thursday. Hopefully it gets here soon :)

jessicasmom1
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yes, a trampoline in the yard.. the jump roap out there and the bike .. now the weather is breaking it is beautiful outside

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)