Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking up some fun

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

What kid doesn't like getting dirty, right? Sand, dirt, mud...all fabulous things our kids love to get into, which sometimes doesn't bode well for the post-play time as they are caked with some substance that now needs to be washed off.

That's part of the same reason my kiddo seems to love baking, I think. Getting her hands all gooey and sticky with cookie dough and covered with flour and various other ingredients. Shaping the cookies, stirring up the batter, whatever it may be is so fun, you would think it was a brand new toy she saw on some commercial, but it is just a bit of baking.

Then -- then! -- the residual bits of dough are turned into some sort of experiment. If we add some applesauce and pepper, what will happen? What about if we freeze it? How about we add syrup and coffee grounds AND freeze it.  Yes, sounds awful, but it is meshing those creative and scientific skills, stretching some brain matter to figure out what may happen.

Now, of course, sometimes an experiment turns into a tasty treat...yogurt with some berries with a touch of sugar stashed in the freezer for a few hours creates some pops that -- would you know? -- are pretty yummy. The look on her face as she exclaims,"Hey, this tastes good!"? Priceless.

Do your kids love to bake? Share your baking stories! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/wragg

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Yes, we often bake together : )

My only bad experience was the time my son (2 at the time) wanted to help and he dumped a lot of salt into my bread! lol.

My kid's love making cupcakes the best (of course)

mrswillie
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

16yo ds love to bake and cook. He is considering becoming a chef.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM
We love baking cookies
GwenMB
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My boys love to help me bake.  We don't do experiments, though. I just hate the thought of "wasting" any gluten free baking products since they are so expensive!  Bad of me, I know.

sanj1213
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM
My son loves to watch me in the kitchen. He'll grab some toys and start mixing lol. He'll say mix mix:) He's two.
sanj1213
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
I should get him involved with baking some cookies. He loves cupcakes!
sanj1213
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I love to bake! Probably more than cooking lol
Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

We do love to bake.

copperswifey
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My kids love to bake cookies. They will pour all the ingredients in the bowl. Then they love to scoop out the dough and put them on the baking sheets. They always look so proud when they eat them. :)

jessicasmom1
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yes we love to bake :-) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)