Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kid doesn't like getting dirty, right? Sand, dirt, mud...all fabulous things our kids love to get into, which sometimes doesn't bode well for the post-play time as they are caked with some substance that now needs to be washed off.

That's part of the same reason my kiddo seems to love baking, I think. Getting her hands all gooey and sticky with cookie dough and covered with flour and various other ingredients. Shaping the cookies, stirring up the batter, whatever it may be is so fun, you would think it was a brand new toy she saw on some commercial, but it is just a bit of baking.

Then -- then! -- the residual bits of dough are turned into some sort of experiment. If we add some applesauce and pepper, what will happen? What about if we freeze it? How about we add syrup and coffee grounds AND freeze it.  Yes, sounds awful, but it is meshing those creative and scientific skills, stretching some brain matter to figure out what may happen.

Now, of course, sometimes an experiment turns into a tasty treat...yogurt with some berries with a touch of sugar stashed in the freezer for a few hours creates some pops that -- would you know? -- are pretty yummy. The look on her face as she exclaims,"Hey, this tastes good!"? Priceless.

Do your kids love to bake? Share your baking stories! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/wragg

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

They do!  I do most of the work, but they are interested in the process for sure.

goddess99
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

My dd has just started baking with me. We both are having fun with it.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I'm really looking forward to having a child who is old enough (and interested enough) that I can say "how about you go bake a X" and he will. :)  My oldest is 6, so we are a few years from that.

Quoting MamaMandee:

Yes my kids love to bake. The youngest 2 love to bake muffins & the oldest one is 14 and bakes a ton of stuff. 

Bob192
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM

My kids love to bake!!  It is so fun to have them standing up in the chair helping me.

MamaMandee
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

It is great. She also had home ec this year and learned some new recipes. She had family here on Easter weekend and she made garlic biscuits that my SIL thought maybe came from a can because they were so good. Wheen she found out Haley made them she was blown away. 

Quoting GwenMB:

I'm really looking forward to having a child who is old enough (and interested enough) that I can say "how about you go bake a X" and he will. :)  My oldest is 6, so we are a few years from that.

Quoting MamaMandee:

Yes my kids love to bake. The youngest 2 love to bake muffins & the oldest one is 14 and bakes a ton of stuff. 

arpazia
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Yes we do!

hes the batter eater, takes the job very seriously...so does his dad!

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM

We baked a cake together monday : ) Banana bread today

kellynh
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM

This weekend will be my youngests first time.. Hell be 17m. 

slw123
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM

My kids have very little interest in baking.  I don't like to bake myself, so maybe that's why.  We don't eat many baked goods at our house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)