Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Read Up!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Reading is such an important skill. We often take this for granted, but where I grew up, and in much of the world still today, many people, especially moms, grandmothers, and girls, are not provided with the opportunity to learn how to read. I have always been an avid reader, since I was little girl - this is how I grew to love to write as well. And I have always appreciated and enjoyed every opportunity I get to read. Here's why:

1) Reading is an amazing way to relax. Picking up a travel magazine or a novel about some wonderful, exotic world can transport you instantly to a different place, a different time, a different feeling. I read every night before I go to sleep. It helps me unwind, and takes my mind off of everything. Mostly, I read exciting mysteries.

2) Reading is a wonderful way to learn. Through books, you can learn about history, cooking, or science. You can learn how to fix a car or tell a good joke; you can learn just about anything. Kids love learning from books too. If you have not already, the next time you are trying to help your child through some developmental or leaning stage, be it big or small, look for fun age- appropriate books about it. Your child will respond incredibly fast, you'll see. We have used books to help teach our child so many things from potty training to overcoming fears. Our daughter has learned so much from books already and she cannot even read yet. She has learned about bugs and other countries and friendship, she has learned to identify the letters of the alphabet and colors and shapes. How to be less afraid of monsters or dentists or worms. How to use her imagination to create her own fun stories for herself. It's so nice to see how she learns through books, because I know it's something that will serve her well and help her through life in so many ways.

3) Reading is something you can share with everyone, forever. I love sharing the books and stories from my childhood with my daughter and her friends and even cousins. I love sharing grown-up books with my friends, neighbors and family. Libraries, where books are free to be shared with you and your entire community, are also such wonderful spaces to learn from and enjoy on your own or with your kid.

I could go on, and on, and on about the importance of reading to me. But the real point I wanted to make, actually, was how important I think it is to make time for your own reading, and time for reading with you family, every day.

Do you enjoy reading, alone or with your family? What do you like to read?

© iStockphoto.com/chromatika

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I love to read.  When my kids were little I read to them all the time.  Now I usually read novels alone.

timon95
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
we all enjoy reading.
MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I do when I have the time to really get into a book.

MichelleK41
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I read alone but also with my family. I like sci-fi or love stories.

goddess99
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My dd loves to read more than I do.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I love to read - I consider reading a solitary activity. :)  I do read to my boys, though, they love being read to.

BabyTeki
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I used to read all the time. Sadly I haven't picked up a book for myself in months. Although I could practically recite Goodnight Goodnight Construction site from memory
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I like reading magazines, books on finance, craft books and healthy books.

sukainah
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I don't read often and my focus lately has been bad so I don't really enjoy it.  I want to enjoy it, though.

sukainah
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

LOL...I understand that

Quoting BabyTeki:

I used to read all the time. Sadly I haven't picked up a book for myself in months. Although I could practically recite Goodnight Goodnight Construction site from memory

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)