Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Traveling buddy 101

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

A stuffed cat. A sock puppet. A small little Squinkie. A face drawn on an index finger. I'm talking traveling buddies. Mentioned in the little write-up about going to the dentist, these little guys come with Kiddo as she heads around town or to school or just to a playdate.

Traveling buddies often talk...in funny high-pitched voices and many are totally, 100% in love with our city. They love everything about it and comment as such. I love seeing how Kiddo creates their viewpoint, their opinions, their feelings...and it is hilarious and sweet all at the same time.

Don't ask me how or why the traveling buddies got started. I think she first took one when she started preschool, a little buddy to ease any nerves, refocus her anxious feelings to okay ones. Now it has become a bit of a fun thing we do each morning for school. The buddy du jour gets tucked into the backpack before we enter the school's doors.

The only rule about traveling buddies is they must be pretty small, and there is one who is never a travelling buddy: Blankie, her main comfort and lovie. Too precious to be trotted around the city. Blankie stays home.

Do your kids take along traveling buddies sometimes?

ŠiStockphoto.com/PeJo29  

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MABmommy
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM
I think DS will have traveling buddies when he's older. He's only 11 months now. We went to the doctor yesterday for some shots. He brought his favorite teddy with him and it was a miracle. He stopped crying seconds after the nurse stuck that needle in him. I don't know why I had never thought about bringing teddy with us before.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM

No, my kids really don't have a travel buddy.  There may be a few items they would want to take on a trip though.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Not really. They perfer to bring crayons and coloring books.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Yes, they do sometimes.  I definitely agree that the most precious lovies need to stay home - learned that one the hard way!

goddess99
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

No my dd more brought things that would keep her occupied.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

No

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yes

timon95
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

only on long roadtrips or overnight trips. they like to take their pillow pets and a small stuffed animal

arpazia
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM

No.

hes never really had a lovie... 

Bmat
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I never thought of a travel buddy. What a cute idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)