Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How To Become A Runner

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies
3 moms liked this

I am an a runner, and not a "runner" (in quotes) as I used to refer to myself. I first took up running when my husband and I moved to the small town we now live in. At the time, there were no local fitness classes and I decided to take up running. He bought me a book (The Complete Book of Running For Women) and joined me as I ran more and walked less in the intervals. As soon as I could run without stopping, he quit running with me because he "hates running." What a great guy.

I quit running for the most part when my kids were wee, but two years ago I decided to start up again. I downloaded the Couch To 5K app and followed the prompts to run/walk/run/walk. Soon, I was able to run 5K and my sister-in-law suggested that we run a local 10K race. I downloaded the Bridge to 10K app and after six weeks, we ran the race and I completed it in 1:05. I ran in three different 10K races last year and my PR (Personal Record) is 57:55.

My sister-in-law and I are now running partners and having the company (and encouragement) has pushed me to run more, to run longer, and to run faster. She's convinced me that we need to run a half-marathon this year, and we've started increasing our mileage.

Are you a runner? Do you have any advice for those who are getting started? Do you have a running partner?

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MABmommy
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM
I ran cross country in high school until my mom pulled me off the team as a punishment. (I guess a was a rebel too lol). Anyway, I kind of list motivation after that but I always say I want to start running again. I always find some excuse to not run at any given time. Or, if I do, it's a very short run. I would love to start again. I think having a running partner is a great idea. I think we are more motivated if we have a partner in something
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm lucky if I walk!

sukainah
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Oh, and I don't have a running or walking parner except my 4 year old son during the day. lol

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Nope not a runner.

GingerZombie
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
I like running with my dog but there's too many strays running around lately to do that safely. Me and my bfff keep promising each other we'll wake up early enough to but it hasn't happened yet...we'll see
GwenMB
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I've never been a runner or had a desire to be one.  I wish I could be, but its just not in me!

goddess99
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

No desire to run. But a friend of mine does marathons.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I ran in high school. I don't mind running.

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

No, but I would like to be!

arpazia
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I want to get back into running!

can't wait for some warmth

tfs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)