Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Earth Day Fun!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Happy Earth Day! Right, I know, we should be aware of treating our planet with love every day, but Earth Day is a good way to really celebrate keeping our home healthy and could be a good kick-off day to start some new good-for-the-earth habits (where is your recycling bin, hmmm?). It's also a day just to have fun with some Earth Day-rific crafts and games. Need some ideas? Here you go:

Read The Lorax - Yup, have some great reading time focused on being kind to your environment. The Dr. Seuss classic focuses on being aware of what we do and how we treat nature and there are a bunch of other great Earth Day books. Take a nice walk to the library and check ‘em out.

Talk a hike - Make that walk to the library part of a long fun hike outside. Even if the weather isn't great, get outside and see what all our planet has to offer.

Plant something - Outdoors, indoors, doesn't matter where, but snag some seeds and grow something. This is such a great adventure for kids that last well after you wash the potting soil off those hands. Veggies, flowers, trees...whatever you want.

Do some Earth-friendly crafts - The best crafts to honor our planet re-use some old things and make them into fabulous, fun new items. Kiddo and I love doing this, and I found two really cool ones on Kaboose.com.

Milk Jug Bird Feeder

What you need: Empty quart sized cardboard milk carton, scissors, string or cord, hole punch or pencil, birdseed

How to make it: Cut a hole in the bird feeder - it should be big enough so a bird could come and sit and eat the feed, but not too big or the carton will become unstable. Cut a hole using the hole punch in the top of the milk carton and put a string through the hole. Alternatively, you can poke a hole on either side of the flap at the top of the carton by poking a pencil through the top. Tie a knot in the string. Fill the carton with birdseed until it reaches the top of the hole. Hang the cart on a tree branch and watch the birds enjoy their snack...be sure an adult supervises the cut and hole-making.

Magazine Holder

What you need: Empty cereal box, scissors, paint or cloth or whatever you want to cover it with, glue, sand paper or gesso/craft medium (like Liquitex Basics Gesso)

How to make it: Cut off top of cereal box. Halfway across top of box, cut at a 45 degree angle down to front of your magazine holder, cut straight across then back up other side at the same angle. Lightly sandpaper outside of cereal box. (They are usually shiny, coated paper.) Alternatively, you can paint a layer of gesso all over the box. Either one of these methods will help the paint adhere to the box. Paint the box white and decorate with other pain or glue on fabric or decoupage scraps, do anything to cover it and make it awesome.

What are you doing fro Earth Day? Do you recycle?

©iStockphoto.com/pinktag

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I  recycle

GwenMB
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We do recycle.  But we don't have any Earth Day plans.

goddess99
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

We were going to pick up the yard but it's pouring rain and it's not supposed to stop until it turns to snow Wednesday, Yay =/ .. We do recycle.

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Maybe we'll watch The Lorax.  Yes, we recycle.

sukainah
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

We are not doing anything for Earth Day today.  And, bad me, I don't recycle.  Hopefully they will do something at school.

ceciliam
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

We recycle.

I wish I could say that we are doing something really cool for Earth Day (I wanted to) but we are not.

slw123
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM

We do recycle.  My kids love the Lorax, I suspect we'll be reading it tonight.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

We are planting a tree today when DH gets home from work and my DD is off school. I'm pretty excited! It's a tradition my parents started with me.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

And reading the lorax tonight is a great idea : )

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)