Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Weather Can be Your Friend

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

In Kiddo's kindergarten class, they have jobs...the usual ones, you'd think of: snack helper, line leader, chair arranger and yes, meteorologist. Kiddo loves being the meteorologist. Going beyond just checking what's happening outside the classroom window, she loves thinking about what you have to wear for certain weather, she's curious about extreme weather, like hurricanes and tornadoes...we talk a lot about the weather. Which I dig, because I love making sure we are prepared weather-wise for excursions (hello, umbrella and rain boots). Sometime we play weather games, too. Check these out!

Guess the temp: As we are running around the city, walking to school, we both try to guess what temperature it is...thank goodness for a gazillion weather apps so we can check to see who is closest.

Guess in the temp in Australia (or wherever): So, in talking about how places on the globe have different seasons, we try to figure out what the temperature would be somewhere way far away from NYC. Again, fun and leads to some interesting discussions about geography.

Examine those clouds: When going about our day, we rarely look up. A fun game we do is stop and look up every once and a while. Sure, we find funny cats and interesting figures made by the fluffy white things in the sky, but we explore other things too...how are the clouds moving, what color, what do we think would happen later in the sky?

Brainstorm about storms and animals: We can always go indoors when storms hit, but what about animals in Central Park? Where do they hide...or do they like the rain? Is it their bath time?

How do you play with the weather? Are your kids into it too?

ŠiStockphoto.com/skydie

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

My dd loves weather related things. She's always telling me the names of the different types of clouds. She has a tornado little machine thing.

TerriC
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

My kids love to go outside before a rain storm etc.  They love how fast the clouds start moving and the wind starts blowing.  They have always asked a lot of questions about what makes this happen, what makes that happen.  Google is my BFF.  LOL

TerriC
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Tornado machine?  That sounds interesting.  =-)

Quoting goddess99:

My dd loves weather related things. She's always telling me the names of the different types of clouds. She has a tornado little machine thing.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

My boys love to look at the radar map.  I look at it daily to see how far away the snow is. lol  Last summer I looked at it when we had storms.  My boys would look at it with me, and the 4 yo would make his own radar maps & tell me what kinds of weather he had on it.

The Guess the Temp in X game sounds like fun!  My boys do love geography, too, and we've talked about how different parts of the world have different seasons from us.  Seeing what the weather is like in other parts of the world would be interesting.

GwenMB
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My 6 yo has one, too.  It was a birthday gift from a friend & it is fun to watch & see how a tornado is formed.

Quoting TerriC:

Quoting goddess99:

goddess99
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I don't know how to explain it lol. It's like this cylinder thing that when moved a certain way, these water droplets form and move in rapid formation like a tornado.

Quoting TerriC:

Quoting goddess99:

TerriC
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

That sounds awesome!  I am going to look into it, I know my kids would love something like that!

Quoting goddess99:

I don't know how to explain it lol. It's like this cylinder thing that when moved a certain way, these water droplets form and move in rapid formation like a tornado.

Quoting TerriC:

Quoting goddess99:

TerriC
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Sounds very cool!

Quoting GwenMB:

My 6 yo has one, too.  It was a birthday gift from a friend & it is fun to watch & see how a tornado is formed.

Quoting TerriC:

Quoting goddess99:

jessicasmom1
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM

sounds neat

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

My dd likes looking at the clouds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)