Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Today was not supposed to be a day that I sit at home and watch my daughter suffer with a massive double ear infection, her tiny eardrums close to bursting, and her lungs close to pneumonia. Today was supposed to be a day full of life and adventure, and sun and fun. But sick days happen to all of us, all the time, and usually when we least expect them or can handle them. Here are my go-to steps for feeling better and making the most of a sick day with my little one:

1) Rest: Let your kid rest, and get yourself some rest too. Make yourselves as cozy as you can. No matter what's wrong, rest always helps everyone, and it has to be a priority. When my child or I are sick, we love watching movies, taking a bath with Epsom salt or steamy shower, reading books, and playing low energy games like cards or board games.

2) Get help: Whether this means calling the doctor for more advice, or your mom or friend for help caring for your sick one or yourself, don't always try to do it all alone. You'll feel less anxious and helpless when you know you have help on your side.

3) Stock up: This is something to do BEFORE anyone is sick. Make sure you always have your most important items stock piled at home: Any medicines your family uses regularly and pain / fever relievers, but be sure to CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATES a couple of times a year. Also extra water, rehydrating ice pops, soups, oatmeal, crackers, favorite snacks or drinks. My favorite thing to stock is my emergency treat bag I keep hidden in my closet for days like today. It includes little surprises for my kid like stickers, a new card game, her favorite candy or gum, coloring books or play dough.

4) Enjoy some comfort food: When someone's not feeling well, it can be hard to have any appetite. Making your family's favorite food can make anyone feel better and helps get some strength back too. For these ten days she's gagging on her antibiotics twice a day, my daughter gets to eat ice cream with each dose. If that's the only way it goes, down, who cares. I'm with Mary Poppins on this one. The more rainbow sprinkles we add, the easier it is to help her feel and the less painful it is for me to force it down her.

How do you take care of yourself and your family when you're not well?

© iStockphoto.com/simoningate

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
Kmakksmom
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Plenty of rest, relaxation, homemade chicken noodle soup and favorite things are the key when we are sick.
TerriC
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I feel better already!  lol

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Plenty of rest, relaxation, homemade chicken noodle soup and favorite things are the key when we are sick.

MamaMandee
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Lots of rest under several blankets! 

December_mom
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Oh no! Hope he's feeling better.

Quoting GwenMB:

My son is currently on a 10 day course of antibiotics for an EI as well. I have also been giving him a scoop of ice cream after his dose of meds. I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided to do whatever it took to get him taking them - and he isn't fighting it now like he did at first.

We rest as much as possible.  They can watch as many movies as they want (normally its limited to 1/day - and not every day).

timon95
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

My kids are 7 and 9. when i am not feeling well they become my helpers until dh gets home from work. they play quietly so i can rest, make sandwhiches or waffles for their lunch. they are good at taking of me when i do not feel well.

Kmakksmom
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
lol! yep :)

Quoting TerriC:

I feel better already!  lol

Quoting Kmakksmom:

countrygirlkat
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I make sure they are comfortable and that they get plenty of rest.
GwenMB
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM

He seems to be over the EI (although still on the meds) but does still have the cough.  But we were just at Urgent Care again today because yesterday he fell & hurt his wrist.  He was complaining more & more about it so I brought him in & it turns out its actually broken (just a hairline fracture, but still requires a cast).  *sigh*

Quoting December_mom:

Oh no! Hope he's feeling better.

Quoting GwenMB:

My son is currently on a 10 day course of antibiotics for an EI as well. I have also been giving him a scoop of ice cream after his dose of meds. I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided to do whatever it took to get him taking them - and he isn't fighting it now like he did at first.

We rest as much as possible.  They can watch as many movies as they want (normally its limited to 1/day - and not every day).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)