Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Get A Proper Fitting For Shoes

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

When I first took up running eleven twelve years ago, I followed the advice in my running book and went to a running store to get fitted for the best shoe for my feet. Three years ago, when I started running after a few years off, I went and got fitted again. My body has changed after three babies and the shoes are getting better and better every year. The clerk had me try on a few pairs of shoes -- based on the terrain I run -- and watched my gait as I walked across the room in each pair. The ones she chose are the ones that felt best to me, and that I buy anew every six months or so.

My running partner has been out with a bad back and as part of her rehab, she has been told that she needs to get a proper shoe fitting. She's always purchased shoes that were a good brand name, but went with what's on sale. I don't blame her -- who would? -- but she now realizes that those saved pennies are not worth her pain or the fact that she's unable to even walk long distances or hike with her family.

(Pro tip: Once you've been fitted and bought your shoes, there's nothing wrong with getting your next pair of shoes online to save some -- or a lot -- of money.)

I think that if you're consistently active -- be it running, walking, or hiking -- you should be fitted for proper shoes. I got fitted for shoes to wear to my fitness class as well, because strength work is different than running.

Have you been to get your shoes fitted? Do you believe that it's helped you?

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I usually just go by the size I'm in. I have not been fitted since I was a kid.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM

yes shoe sizer .... when I was growing now .. settled in my size,,,, sizing DD's as she grows

goddess99
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I only wear Birkenstocks.

4kidz916
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I've never been properly fitted.  

Leelee1008
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

not in a long while. i just try them on and see what fits best, differnt shoes fit different sizes

blue_lagoon
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I have never been fitted but I've been tempted to since I need some really good running shoes.

sukainah
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Oh that would be helpful.  I don't get fitted for my shoes.

sukainah
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I hear those are very comfortable.  I've never owned real Birkenstocks before

Quoting goddess99:

goddess99
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM

They are, I was having severe foot problems to the point where I could not walk and my doctor recommended birkenstocks, problem solved. I buy the cute ones they sell on qvc.

Quoting sukainah:

Quoting goddess99:

sukainah
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Wow, I'm so glad they helped your feet!

Quoting goddess99:

They are, I was having severe foot problems to the point where I could not walk and my doctor recommended birkenstocks, problem solved. I buy the cute ones they sell on qvc.

Quoting sukainah:

Quoting goddess99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)