Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A great way to get some excitement and fun back in your life is to take the time to try something new once in a while. You can try something new just for yourself, or if you're home with a little one most of the time, you can certainly find a million new things to try with them or even your entire family. New activities and ideas help us grow, and become happier, healthier, more interesting people. Even if you HATE that skydiving class you try, hey, it's a great conversation starter at your next BBQ or family holiday. And it's pretty impressive too!

Here are some great ideas for new things to try, anytime:

-Try a new type or sport or exercise class, like tai chi or mountain biking or camping or mommy-and-me yoga

-Try a new creative hobby, like pottery or photography or watercolor, or learning an instrument or a new language even

-Try bringing new life into your home, by planting a garden, or fostering a pet from a shelter for a while or just making a birdhouse and bird watching right outside your home.

-Try reorganizing your room or kids' room, or family room and find fun new ways to use your existing space and stuff

-Try making the effort to talk to a new mom or neighbor, and make a new friend.

-Try freshening up your look with a new haircut, or a couple of new accessories in a totally different style from what you usually wear every day.

-Try a new type of cuisine, either just by going out to eat or by looking up some recipes online. In the past couple of years, I have discovered and grown to love Vietnamese food, Indonesian and Indian food. Yum!

-If nothing else, try a new magazine subscription for a while, or reading a different type of novel or even website. There is so much out there to inspire you in so many ways; don't get stuck in a rut and forget to branch out once in a while!

Doing new things is a quick and easy way to expand your horizons, put some thrill back in your life, and to keep growing. And it's usually lots of fun too. Even if it's not, you'll have learned something new about yourself (hey, so you HATE horseback riding or raw seafood, good to know!) You'll only be more self-aware and interesting for having tried it out anyway. And that will help you refocus on finding other new activities you WILL really love and benefit from in the long run. Check out your local community centers, YMCAs, school message boards, even coffee shop bulletin boards and free local newsletters for ideas.

Have you tried something fun and new lately?

© iStockphoto.com/malerapaso

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
4kidz916
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM

We  are just getting started with backyard chickens as a new hobby.  We're all excited about it. 

slw123
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I do enjoy new things, even if I end up not enjoying it.  We went kayaking in the river.  I had never been before.  I didn't enjoy the experience.  I don't mind the physical aspect, it was the constant threat of tipping that I couldn't deal with.  Our river connects with the ocean, so there are sharks and jellyfish, etc. 

ceciliam
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

We are always doing something new.

Right now we have a science experiment going where we are making a naked bouncing egg.

This weekend we are making/planting a vertical garden using a hanging shoe organizer.

lalasmama2007
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I taught myself how to do punchneedle!  They had the supplies on clearance at Joann's dirt cheap, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Madelaine
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Hmmmm....not lately...

Kmakksmom
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I'm going to be purging and cleaning up ALOT this weekend. This time on CM right now is my break before I start :)
dusky_rose
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I talk to the moms I meet after Kindergarten picking our kids up.

star33
by New Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM

we've had a garden off and on most of my life,but i'm doing my own personal garden. i'm so excited even though the physical pain hasn't been fun.

i love trying new things! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)