Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Imagine That!

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies

My child's imagination is truly mind blowing to me. I think of myself as someone with some imagination of my own, but the older I grow, the more my imagination just revolves around the same old real stuff. Like imagining myself on a real beach vacation. My daughter, however, will see a speck of dust and to her, it's the seed of a rainbow about to explode with color. She'll feel a breeze and jump up and try to grab it so she can fly off to a magical moon. She can grab stars from thin air and taste them. (Apparently, they taste like gummy bears). When I see thin air, I see nothing; just air.

I'm starting to realize how much my child's huge imagination affects her experiences. Often, she is having so much fun imagining magical things. But sometimes, this big magical world that grows in her head can add to her fears, too. If you can imagine great things, you can also imagine terrifying things when something sparks fear in you. Like a doctor's needle, for instance. To me, a needle is just a needle. I sow with them, I get shots with them, they prick for a sec but it's not even close to a bee sting or something truly annoying or painful. But to someone who can invite a make believe mariachi band to dinner every night, or visit Bombay on a water elephant (whatever THAT is) during bath-time, a little needle in a nurse's hand is like a dagger of death, unbearable torture and pain that will never ever ever stop even if the shot takes just mere seconds. And that's becomes a REAL challenge for everyone involved in my kid's check-ups.

Overall, though, being surrounded by the imaginary world of even just my one child is awesome, to me. I've decided to try to take a few minutes to write some of her make-believe adventures down for her, and hang onto them, so that when she gets "old" and boring like me, she can remember how cool her thoughts were when she had little on her mind except play all day.

What do you think about your kids' imagination?

© iStockphoto.com/Imgorthand

by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellynh
by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

There is nothing like the imagination of a toddler and preschooler. I wish more people would understand how important this world is and join their child on THEIR adventure. It is such a rewarding experience for both the child and the parent/caregiver. Nothing compares to seeng the world throug the eyes of a child!! 

goddess99
by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd practically lives in her own world, her imagination is huge.

elasmimi
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM

This is so true!

Quoting kellynh:

There is nothing like the imagination of a toddler and preschooler. I wish more people would understand how important this world is and join their child on THEIR adventure. It is such a rewarding experience for both the child and the parent/caregiver. Nothing compares to seeng the world throug the eyes of a child!! 

TerriC
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I love thier imagination.  The fact that they can keep busy for so long just imagining things, games, whatever, is amazing to me.

mrswillie
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM

When they were younger, I use to love watching them play make believe. Recently, my 17 yo ds have been imagining what we would do if we won the Power Ball. lol

CarlyK23
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

This is amazing! You should write down the ideas she has and make them into a series of fun children's books! 

ceciliam
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I think my son's imagination is fantastic!

.Angelica.
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM

my 5 year old has a VERY vivid imagination. lol

dusky_rose
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I love it! I had a great imagination when I was little too and still do to some point.

Bmat
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I love listen to the imaginations of children. I'm sure it is scripted, but there is an ad on TV lately that I love - a little girl tells why she thinks being human is best, and it is the cutest thing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)