Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My child's imagination is truly mind blowing to me. I think of myself as someone with some imagination of my own, but the older I grow, the more my imagination just revolves around the same old real stuff. Like imagining myself on a real beach vacation. My daughter, however, will see a speck of dust and to her, it's the seed of a rainbow about to explode with color. She'll feel a breeze and jump up and try to grab it so she can fly off to a magical moon. She can grab stars from thin air and taste them. (Apparently, they taste like gummy bears). When I see thin air, I see nothing; just air.

I'm starting to realize how much my child's huge imagination affects her experiences. Often, she is having so much fun imagining magical things. But sometimes, this big magical world that grows in her head can add to her fears, too. If you can imagine great things, you can also imagine terrifying things when something sparks fear in you. Like a doctor's needle, for instance. To me, a needle is just a needle. I sow with them, I get shots with them, they prick for a sec but it's not even close to a bee sting or something truly annoying or painful. But to someone who can invite a make believe mariachi band to dinner every night, or visit Bombay on a water elephant (whatever THAT is) during bath-time, a little needle in a nurse's hand is like a dagger of death, unbearable torture and pain that will never ever ever stop even if the shot takes just mere seconds. And that's becomes a REAL challenge for everyone involved in my kid's check-ups.

Overall, though, being surrounded by the imaginary world of even just my one child is awesome, to me. I've decided to try to take a few minutes to write some of her make-believe adventures down for her, and hang onto them, so that when she gets "old" and boring like me, she can remember how cool her thoughts were when she had little on her mind except play all day.

What do you think about your kids' imagination?

© iStockphoto.com/Imgorthand

by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
MamaMandee
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I love seeing the world through the eyes of my kids imaginations! 

4kidz916
by on May. 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The kids seem to have more imagination when they are toddler age.  My kids are older now and their imaginations aren't as big.

RobynS
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM

It's crazy, the things they come up with. Crazy! In a good way... :)

la_bella_vita
by on May. 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I think my children have amazing imaginations.

Bob192
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I am overwhelmed by it, where does it go as we get older??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)