Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kiddie Yoga 101

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

My husband does about 17 minutes of yoga every morning. It gets him all stretched and lean and toned...and Kiddo does it with him sometimes. She's no stranger to yoga, as her preschool had it every Friday and she had an afterschool yoga class last fall. She digs it, loves the poses, even tosses out "Namaste" every once and a while.

Yoga is actually fantastic for kids - after running around the park or sitting at a desk, it stretches them, teaches them about breathing, relaxes them and tones up those little muscles too. Beyond that, the foundation of yoga - being peaceful, getting in tune with your body, learning how to sit calmly by yourself - are all lessons even adults need to tackle. Why not introduce a few moves to your kids? Check out these fun ones I found at NamasteKid.com....they have quite a few more the brood will love, including a lion pose and of course, downward dog.

Frog Pose --  Squat on the floor, balancing on your toes, knees spread wide, hands on the floor between your legs, like a frog. Look toward the ceiling and inhale. As you exhale, straighten your legs, bringing your tush up and lower your head toward your knees. Return to squatting position, then repeat. 

Rainbow Pose - In a sitting position, raise both hands over your head. Drop one hand by your side, exhale, and arch the other over your body. Hold this position. As you bring your dropped arm back above your head, straighten your body. Now do it on the other side. (Hint: This can also be done as a standing pose. To get your kids to stay in the stretch for longer, have them say all of the colors of the rainbow before moving back to the starting position.)

Star Pose - Have your kids stand with their feet wide apart, wider than their shoulders. Stretch arms out to each side, fingers stretched too, so you are making a star (with all fours limbs and your head). Take deep breaths and sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." 

Do you do yoga? Have your kids ever done it?  Let me know which poses you would try with them!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ zona 

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I have never ever done yoga.  When some one says the names of the poses or moves, I have no clue what they mean.  LOL

MichelleK41
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM

No we have not tried yoga here yet.

4kidz916
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I've never done yoga but I would love to learn how and have my kids do it with me.

Rushn311
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I have done it and I think my daughter has too. It hurts me though but I probably should try it once I give birth for stretching....it helps with fibro.

elasmimi
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I have tried, but just haven't got the ang of it. I did take my dd to a class when she was 4, but the little girl she went with got removed for misbehaving, and we never went back.

goddess99
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM

The rainbow and star poses sound fun. My dd and I have done yoga before.

sukainah
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

No, I don't do yoga and neither do the kids.  Sounds like we need to!

Bmat
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I do yoga. And in a structured play group that we had, I taught it to the children. The pose of the corpse (didn't call it that) was one that we finished the 15 minute session with. Tree pose, cobra, cow and cat,

Madelaine
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My kids love yoga.

KaylaMillar
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I have never done yoga before. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)