Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Channel an inner Picasso

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies

I draw a picture on Kiddo's napkin every morning to stash in her lunch box. There's always a kitty doing something - hang-gliding, picnicking with some mice friends, snorkeling - and a little "Have a great day!" message. I have to say, even when I'm rather tired, even when the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, I enjoy these few minutes in the morning. Why? Because I'm tapping into my inner Picasso. Drawing is fun, I flashback to my six-year-old days when I would draw or color. It's awesome to create art.

Crayons, markers, paper are a staple of every home with kids, no? There are some other ways to get them into that artistic zone so they can channel their own inner Picasso too!

-- Try different mediums. Think clay, which helps build those fine motor skills and hand muscles. Try felt, which can be glued and made into a whole number of things. Bust out the beads, dried pasta, yarn, origami paper...the list goes on.

-- Have the tools. Scissors, glue, paper, tape, perhaps some duct tape and tracing paper. The basics are what you need to be sure they can bring their vision to life.

-- Get some books. There are so many options: origami how-tos, how to draw the 50 greatest buildings books, plain ol' coloring books.

-- Give them an assignment to spur that imagine. Have them create masterpieces that aliens would like to hang in their spaceship or ask them to draw a family portrait of birds or mermaids.

-- Discover a new artist. Look online and study the work of Jackson Pollock or Andy Warhol and then have them do a picture that is akin to their style.

What is the favorite type of art your kids like to create? What new art stuff will you introduce to them?

©iStockphoto.com/ PhotoEuphoria

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:36 AM

They love to do art.  There is always a mess of some sort in the house due to art projects.  From PlayDoh, to coloring, to painting/finger painting.  We have painted on shirts, jeans, any type of clothing really.  They make things out of coffee filters (snow flakes are cute using those).  I could go on and on!!

.Angelica.
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM

my son has never really been into art. he's getting more into it now that he's getting older though.

timon95
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

they love to draw and make race tracks or whatever else out of empty cereal boxes.

goddess99
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM
My dd loves fashion design, there are dress sketches all over the house =)
arpazia
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM
My child is not creative, I think he'd rather eat broccoli than do arts and crafts!
sukainah
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

My sons use mostly paper and color or make cards and different things.  My oldest son likes to make his own books.  Sometime we use clay or dry play-doh.  

Those are some good ideas for my art

Bmat
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I love the idea of looking at other artists and trying to copy their style. After looking online, it would be a great idea to take them to a museum to see the art in person.

Leelee1008
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

they enjoy just drawing, but I use other things too

dusky_rose
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

My youngest dd loves art and I just got her a book on how to watercolor, a palette and some watercolor paper for her birthday (she just turned 18 and had the paint from before). But my other children don't seem that interested in art.

MichelleK41
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Our kiddos are all good in art and really do a variety that I always enjoy. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)