Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I draw a picture on Kiddo's napkin every morning to stash in her lunch box. There's always a kitty doing something - hang-gliding, picnicking with some mice friends, snorkeling - and a little "Have a great day!" message. I have to say, even when I'm rather tired, even when the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, I enjoy these few minutes in the morning. Why? Because I'm tapping into my inner Picasso. Drawing is fun, I flashback to my six-year-old days when I would draw or color. It's awesome to create art.

Crayons, markers, paper are a staple of every home with kids, no? There are some other ways to get them into that artistic zone so they can channel their own inner Picasso too!

-- Try different mediums. Think clay, which helps build those fine motor skills and hand muscles. Try felt, which can be glued and made into a whole number of things. Bust out the beads, dried pasta, yarn, origami paper...the list goes on.

-- Have the tools. Scissors, glue, paper, tape, perhaps some duct tape and tracing paper. The basics are what you need to be sure they can bring their vision to life.

-- Get some books. There are so many options: origami how-tos, how to draw the 50 greatest buildings books, plain ol' coloring books.

-- Give them an assignment to spur that imagine. Have them create masterpieces that aliens would like to hang in their spaceship or ask them to draw a family portrait of birds or mermaids.

-- Discover a new artist. Look online and study the work of Jackson Pollock or Andy Warhol and then have them do a picture that is akin to their style.

What is the favorite type of art your kids like to create? What new art stuff will you introduce to them?

©iStockphoto.com/ PhotoEuphoria

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
alliesmom112
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

my dd loves crafts of any kind

Madelaine
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Play Doh too.

copperswifey
by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I love to do anything with hand or feet prints. I just look for  new things to do on the web :)

Charizma77
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM

We have 2 big bins of art supplies and some days I just open them up an let the kids create and make a mess. I love to see what they come up with and then we all clean up the mess together. 

lalasmama2007
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM

My dd likes painting anything and everything!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)