Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Support Your Kids In Being Active

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

Two weeks ago, my son told me about a running race that was being held one town over for all third grade kids in the area. A bunch of his friends were going and he really (REALLY) wanted to enter it. This is the child who looks 100% like my husband and shares his natural sportiness. As my husband isn't a regular runner, I was so excited to share this love of running with my son.

The only glitch in the timing was that it meant I'd have to miss my strength boot camp class. If you know me, then you know that I only miss class if I'm sick or out of town. But he wanted to race! Like me! I missed class, took him to the race, and cheered him (and his friends) on. My husband and I have modeled an active life to our kids and I'm so excited that they're following suit.

What activities do your kids love? How do you support them in their quest to be active?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Ds likes to workout with me. He is actually joining the gym I am a member of.

MichelleK41
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Yes indeed I agree with this! Our kiddos are in martial arts. =)

4kidz916
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM

My kids love all types of sports and outdoor activities.  My 16 year old daughter loves to run in 5, 8, and 10 K races and I let her enter all that she wants to.  

slw123
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

My kids are learning the importance of being active by example.  I teach group fitness classes, so they are there with me.  They participate in my classes in the summer.  They play soccer two seasons a year and in the summer they are on the swim league.  My goal is to make it so much a part of their lives, that they never get out of the habit.

ceciliam
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

My son likes to do all kinds of active things with me and my husband....hiking, basketball, yoga, swimming, working-out. I think this Summer we are getting him his own set of dumbbells:)

Madelaine
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Soccer and T Ball

Madelaine
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

How old were they when you started them?

Quoting MichelleK41:

Yes indeed I agree with this! Our kiddos are in martial arts. =)

sukainah
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

My kids aren't really into sports quite yet.  My oldest DS is not much of a runner, but I think he would like to golf.  I'm not very active myself but I need to be more proactive for my kiddos.

kellynh
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM

One of mine plays basket ball :) 

2 are running and climbing all over  

one is out of the house at 21

TerriC
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

They are very active.  They love to play basketball, soccer, baseball.  Riding bikes is almost every day.  They even got up early and rode their bikes before school today.  We go on walks after dinner each night; weather permiting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)