Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

These Feet Were Made For Walking

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

Walking is one of my favorite things to do. Where I live, in Brooklyn, people walk everywhere, all year long, and I love this. It's so nice to run into different people on the street I have not seen in a while, or wander through the park and notice the changes in nature that happen every single day, like leaves growing and changing color, and flowers popping up everywhere.

I love seeing what's going in my neighborhood by just walking through it, noticing which stores are putting out their new holiday or seasonal stock, and which restaurants are offering yummy-sounding specials. Walking is also a great way to see the sights when you travel; it's a relaxing way to soak in any environment, new or familiar, at an easy pace. Now that it's warmer, I'm itching to have the opportunity to walk on a beach again soon. That's such a completely different experience from walking in a city. Doesn't it feel so great to feel the sand on your toes, make funny footsteps with your kids, and taste the salty ocean spray? And, I recently read that walking through a green or leafy area, or on the beach, literally reduces the stress hormones in your body and brain, and helps adults and kids focus and stay calm better than those who did not walk, or those who only walked through very urban, loud concrete areas. This makes a lot of sense to me, because I can personally feel the major differences in myself- and see them in my kid a bit too- when we walk, and depending where we are walking.

If you don't already enjoy walking regularly, I highly recommend it. Try it, you won't believe how much more you'll notice than when you're getting around in a vehicle. Spring is a wonderful time to get started, too, no matter where you live.

Do you and your family regularly enjoy walks?

© iStockphoto.com/DNY59

by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

We go for walks/hikes every weekend, during the Summer.

timon95
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM

no, we do not go for many walks. we live on a side road with many curves and no sidewalks. people drive crazy here - too dangerous to walk

MichelleK41
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

We do martial arts but I am going to add walking to my schedule next week. Our kids of course rarely sit still, haha.

TerriC
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  We love to go on walks.  So glad the nice weather is here, we get out and walk every day that we can.

4kidz916
by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM

We go on a lot of nature walks.  We live in the country so we can't walk to work, school, stores, etc. 

goddess99
by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

We like going for walks around our park.

TerriC
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Oh, that would be so nice!!

Quoting 4kidz916:

We go on a lot of nature walks.  We live in the country so we can't walk to work, school, stores, etc. 

Kmakksmom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM

We love walking.  We take walks every evening after dinner.

arpazia
by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Walking is my favorite thing to do, I can go for miles!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on May. 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I wish we had more opportunities for it.  We live in the suburbs and nothing is close enough for walking really.  I am looking forward to evening family walks when the kids get a bit older.  I remember doing that with my parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)