Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grab That Magnifying Glass

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies

I love simple toys. Your basic blocks. The ball. A good book. Add to that list the little ol' magnifying glass. It doesn't have to be a fancy one you get at science class -- a plastic toy one will do. Carrying around this amazing instrument can bring a new view on the world with each step...and tap into that everyone's inner Sherlock Holmes. Say it with me: Elementary, my dear Watson!

It's cool to see what your kids discover with a magnifying glass. Everything is up for grabs, of course, but outside, be sure they examine leaves, sticks and any creepy-crawly creatures they may find. Ask your kids to list what is different from each view of the objects, what they see now that they didn't before - from little hairs or streaks of color or tiny ridges. They can even start a little journal, drawing what it looked like without the tool and then up close.

Inside has just as many cool discoveries to make. Get a new perspective on food, like crackers or fruit. Look over artwork and photos. Another cool idea -- get a stamp pad, and have your kids make a fingerprint on a piece of paper. You do it too, and examine how every print is different (neat crafty byproduct: you can then turn those prints into cute little pictures by adding eyes, feet and what ever else you want).

Don't have a magnifying glass? Use water. Cover a page of book or magazine with saran wrap and add a drop of water to it and see if the letters under the droplet look different than the others.

Do your kids have a magnifying glass? What do they love to explore with it?

ŠiStockphoto.com/selimaksan

by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Ds use to have a whole CSI kit when he was young and he loved it.

4kidz916
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM

They used to have a toy magnifying glass that came in a science play set.  They always had fun with it. 

4kidz916
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM

That sounds like fun even for me.  lol

Quoting mrswillie:

Ds use to have a whole CSI kit when he was young and he loved it.

lalasmama2007
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Yes, she has one.  She checks out everything with it.

.Angelica.
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

i've never even seen any for sale and never thought of them. i may have to buy one though.

jessicasmom1
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

bugs lol

blue_lagoon
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM

We actually have my grandmother's old magnifying glass.

goddess99
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My dd actually does have a couple magnifying glasses, she uses them when reading her dictonary, poor thing has terrible eye sight even though she wears glasses and for seeing bugs close up lol ew.

sukainah
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM

We used to have one but it broke.  They used to look at bugs with it. lol

TerriC
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

They do.  I just had to buy new ones, they use them so much.  They love to dig things up and check them out in the magnifying glass.  They use them indoors and out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)