Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I love simple toys. Your basic blocks. The ball. A good book. Add to that list the little ol' magnifying glass. It doesn't have to be a fancy one you get at science class -- a plastic toy one will do. Carrying around this amazing instrument can bring a new view on the world with each step...and tap into that everyone's inner Sherlock Holmes. Say it with me: Elementary, my dear Watson!

It's cool to see what your kids discover with a magnifying glass. Everything is up for grabs, of course, but outside, be sure they examine leaves, sticks and any creepy-crawly creatures they may find. Ask your kids to list what is different from each view of the objects, what they see now that they didn't before - from little hairs or streaks of color or tiny ridges. They can even start a little journal, drawing what it looked like without the tool and then up close.

Inside has just as many cool discoveries to make. Get a new perspective on food, like crackers or fruit. Look over artwork and photos. Another cool idea -- get a stamp pad, and have your kids make a fingerprint on a piece of paper. You do it too, and examine how every print is different (neat crafty byproduct: you can then turn those prints into cute little pictures by adding eyes, feet and what ever else you want).

Don't have a magnifying glass? Use water. Cover a page of book or magazine with saran wrap and add a drop of water to it and see if the letters under the droplet look different than the others.

Do your kids have a magnifying glass? What do they love to explore with it?

ŠiStockphoto.com/selimaksan

by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
MamaMandee
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Yes and they love to look at everything! 

KaylaMillar
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

we dont have one but i bet if we did they would love it! 

sukainah
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Fun!

Quoting mrswillie:

Ds use to have a whole CSI kit when he was young and he loved it.

MichelleK41
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Ours have went through this stage already. They do have a spy kit with one, LOL.

candycrush
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Aww, that's sweet.

Quoting blue_lagoon:

We actually have my grandmother's old magnifying glass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)