Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've got science on the brain this week, friends. Yesterday was all about my ode to the magnifying glass. Today? I'm thinking about experiments. Kiddo loves making up her own experiments...adding random ingredients from the cupboards and fridge in a Tupperware and seeing what happens. We've started focusing on the whole idea of a hypothesis too - making our guesses on how the mixture will look in an hour (less goopy? more goopy?) or if it will freeze or not freeze. It's fun to expand those little scientific muscles, no?

Now that the weather is better, we're taking our experiment exercises outside. Here are a few we are going to try:

Map-making magic - Okay, not really an experiment per se, but getting some supplies and creating maps of the backyard or even the walk to the playground, labeling landmarks, being specific with distances all are a great way to observe their world. If you have more than one kiddo, have each one do their own map, each with their own path and see how what they choose to include that is the same and different.

Can you hear me? - Your kiddo may need you for this one, but it is pretty cool to see how sound travels through the air and the ground. Stand far away from your kiddo and run toward her. Have her raise her hand or jump up and down when she can hear your steps. Then start back and run to her again, but have her listen to the ground...which time did she hear you sooner? Also, grab a t-shirt and yell through it. Now yell into that plastic bowl...which material blocks the sound the most?

Windy wisdom - This is a fun one you can do for most of the summer. Start a wind journal. Each day about the same time, see how the wind is blowing (or isn't). Make your own rating system, like a scale of one to 10 - if the leaves are blowing it is perhaps a three, and if the branches also are moving, it is a five, and so on. See what happens to the birds or other animals when it is really windy.

What cool experiments do your kids try? Let's share some...summer is around the corner and we'll all need some new fun ideas!

ŠiStockphoto.com/Marek Uliasz 

by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
Charizma77
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I have a bunch of ideas on Pinterest but haven't tried them yet..lol

timon95
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM

tfs

4kidz916
by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids loved that when they were younger. 

Quoting MichelleK41:

Mine like to do the homemade playdough.

countrygirlkat
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM
My kids lately have been really interested in freezing and un-freezing things and bugs.
sanj1213
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM

We haven't done any. Good ideas though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)