Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picnic 101

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

I am not a nature gal. I kind of hate bugs. I don't really like rolling around in the grass. (A beach? A pool? Sure, but that is discussion for another time.) But one thing I do love doing outdoors? Having a picnic. Here in NYC, we have perhaps the best places to picnic. There's Central Park, of course, and when you don't feel like heading there, just pop into Riverside Park...or Bryant Park...or Prospect Park for the Brooklyn folks. Back in the pre-kiddo days, I was lucky to have picnics with the New York Philharmic providing the background music. That had to be put on hold as it kicks off after bedtime, but in a few years, she'll get a taste of it too.

Picnics are fantastic and relatively easy...but there are some tried-and-true hints to make that dinner alfresco with the squirrels run a bit smoother and make it a bit of an epic adventure. Check these out for your next outdoor meal time bit o' fun.

-- Have the right tools. Get a good blanket, or even two or three, so everyone has room and is comfy. Have some weights to keep napkins from flying away and blanket corners from flopping about. Icepacks and plastic ice sticks to keep things cool.

-- Keep the food simple and safe. Think sandwiches, chips, fruit (pre-cut and pre-washed), beverages that have tops to screw back on so as not to spill. I'd forgo things that could turn bad if left out too long, especially if you don't have ice to keep it chilled.

-- Invite a group. A picnic is a great, less expensive way to gather with another family and friends. Pick a time and place and have everyone bring stuff for his or her own brood. Bonus: No one has to clean a house to get it ready for guests.

-- Have some fun ready. The last thing you want is the kid to start asking to play Angry Birds on your iPhone. Bring along some cards or Mad Libs, stuff everyone can play. Play a few fun outdoor games like Molecule - you all get up and one person is the caller. You say, "Molecule of six!" and everyone has to get into a group of six. Or "Molecule of cats!" and everyone has to act like a cat. Or "Molecule of dinosaurs" and everyone has to act like a dinosaur.

Do you have lots of picnics during the summer? What is your best picnic meal? How about your best picnic game?

©iStockphoto.com/robynmac 

by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I love these suggestions! Thank you.

Sandwiches work best for us, a couple cookies and some apple slices.

goddess99
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM
We usually only have a picnic if we travel to a ghost town for a day. We bring sandwiches, fruit, pasta salad, and water.
4kidz916
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

We like picnics but we don't have too many in the summertime because bugs are really bad around here. 

candycrush
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Yes, we always take picnics when we hit the road.  Much cheaper than stopping at a restaurant.  And much more fun!

LancesMom
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

We love picnics or just eating outdoors on the deck.

Our favs when its a hot summer day...

Cold fried chicken
cold Side salads
cold fruits

cold beer!

dusky_rose
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

We like to go for a drive up to nature and pack our lunch with us. I always bring my wool blanket to sit on, it's perfect for picnics.

timon95
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM

our idea of picnic is to have friends over, cook on the grill and eat inside - no bugs.

lalasmama2007
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We've never went on a picnic as a family, but my dd keeps asking to go on one.

arpazia
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM
We don't really go on picnics
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmakksmom
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM
We love picnics with fried chicken, corn on the cob, baked beans and potato salad. We have lots of picnics every year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)