Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Garden Party Ideas

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies

Summer is full of celebrations, and time and reasons to enjoy good company, good food and fun times outdoors together with your loved ones. Here are some quick and easy ideas for garden party decorations that will brighten up any festive occasion in a flash.

Think of the table, where food and drinks are laid out, as the heart of any celebration, so take the time to make it special, make it pretty and let it stand out. Lay down a bright, colorful cloth to bring the table to life. You can use a folded sheet, sarong or piece of fabric if you don't have a formal tablecloth. You can also just buy a simple white or plain colored one and decorate it quickly and easily with a few summer props. One idea I love is to collect things from your surroundings, like flowers from your garden, or some herbs, or beach stones or seashells or even just some large branches of foliage in various colored leaves. A large bucket or vase in the center of your table, or several smaller ones running down the middle will add height to your display, and color and flair.

Lighting is always important to set a festive mood. If you are having a daytime party, consider hanging paper lanterns without lights. You can find them online or in party stores in so many fun colors and shapes. Just hang them above your table, or around the perimeter of your patio, or around the main doorway to bring a whole new fun element to your place. If you are enjoying an evening get together, consider using vases with water and floating candles, and some large pillar candles or lanterns as well. If fire safety is a concern, there are many options for beautiful patio lights on strings, which create a very special feel as well. Give the kids some jars with lids with holes in them and they can have a firefly-capturing contest, then see whose jar glows the brightest, and use them as part of your table décor for the evening before, setting them free.

Music is another key element to a great party. Think about the tone you want to set, whether it's upbeat, relaxing, jazzy or whatever, and take the time to make a playlist or two ahead of time. You can enjoy the same lists all summer, like a soundtrack of the season for your family. Fill it with music you love, and that's festive too. Everyone's mood changes  for the better when they hear a great tune.

How do you set up for summer festivities?

© iStockphoto.com/ lucop

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the idea of unlit paper lanterns! This would be better than balloons, I'd think. I usually use plastic for table cloths and worry more about keeping it from blowing away than on having pretty decorations, but I'd love an elegant party.

goddess99
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM
I never had a cute little summer party like that before but these are great ideas.
sukainah
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Those sound like nice ideas.  We don't have a lot of summer festivities.

lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM

We made paper lanterns for a recent gathering.

RobynS
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I know everyone does afternoon/evening cookouts in the summer, but I've been considering an outdoor brunch! Nothing fancy, just good friends, good food. :)

ceciliam
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been wanting to do a brunch for awhile now. I need to make that happen:)

Quoting RobynS:

I know everyone does afternoon/evening cookouts in the summer, but I've been considering an outdoor brunch! Nothing fancy, just good friends, good food. :)

jessicasmom1
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

the park .... pretty colored plates and napkins for a cookout

aneela
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

we've hosted cookouts with simple decor and lots of munchies..nothing too elaborate

MamaMandee
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Ours are pretty laid back, nothing fancy. 

Leelee1008
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

we dont really, but I want to. I love lanterns but dont have any

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)