Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We all know how dangerous sunburns are, especially for kids, right? Well, even though I'm really careful all the time, my kid is so light skinned and sensitive (my opposite, ha!) that I have accidentally let her burn a couple of times in some tricky areas despite my efforts. Here are some lessons I have learned:

1) Remember to dry and reapply. And, when you apply sunscreen to kids' faces, use the highest number you have. I like at least SPF 30. Since it's impossible to get cream right up around their eyes without getting it IN their eyes (and my kid will burn her eyelids in a flash), buy those sunscreen STICKS which are pasty and help get to tricky areas easily and thoroughly. Also try to make your kid wear glasses (mine won't, though) or a hat (that's hard for me too, but we're working on it).

2) Covering their head is key. If your kid hates hats like mine, be emphatic and try to work with them so they are less unhappy about it. I have about 5 hats for her so she can chose which one she will wear. She still takes it off a lot, but if she does that when the sun is really burning, I'll let her know that she can either come inside and miss the rest of the day outside, or she needs to cover up. It's not optional at a certain point, for her safety.

3) Wear rash guards with SPF. These are great because trust me, they really do totally protect from sunburn without cream. So save yourself a whole bunch of time and drama and get your family a few long sleeved high SPF protective rash guards, so you will stay safe from the sun while playing outside and in the water all summer long.

4) Don't forget about shade. Weather it's bringing your umbrella, a pop-up sun tent (we use both all the time) or finding shade under trees, remember to take time each day out of the sun with your little ones this summer.

5) Hydrate. Water is not just good for your health; it's good for your skin too, so keep your drinks cool and close by when it gets really hot and you'll all enjoy your summer a whole lot more.

How do you keep your kids safe from sunburns?

© iStockphoto.com/ AleksandarNakic

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
Bmat
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

My dermatologist also advises wearing a hat.

TerriC
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Apply sunscreen and reapply after a few hours.  Drink plenty of water, take a break and sit in a shaded area.

TerriC
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM

This is good to know!!  =-)

Quoting RobynS:

There are also certain foods you can eat to help protect you from the sun from the inside out! Blueberries, strawberries, and leafy greens are some of them. I'm not saying eat a bowl of berries and then go right out into the sun, but if you incorporate those foods into your daily diet, it is supposed to help! :)

TerriC
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I have never heard of it either.

Quoting Bmat:

I don't know what a rash guard is?

TerriC
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

When I lived in AZ, we went through a lot of sunscreen as well!

Quoting Madelaine:

I use a lot of sunscreen and constantly put it on them.  Since we live in Arizona it is important to use sunscreen since it is so hot here most of the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)