Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Best BBQ Tips

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

There are few things in life I love more than a great summer BBQ with my family. We are big grillers, the kind who will stay up all night to slow-smoke that pork shoulder, make our own rubs and mops and sauces, and will cook 9 hours to make silly sandwich. Yes, we are those fools. But the upside of this dysfunction is that I have a bit of BBQ wisdom to impart to you. Here are some of the best quick BBQ tips I could think of to share with you. I hope you enjoy some spectacular grilled food this summer too!

1) STEAK OR CHOPS: Keep it simple. Really, people, here's a secret. You can cook and slave all day, but in the end, if you do it right, a simple steak with salt and pepper and some fresh veggies grilled just right will taste just as amazing as anything can taste. Get a good, fresh piece of meat. We love skirt or ribeye steaks for special occasions. Season well. Fire up your grill and make sure it's hot but the flame is not too high. Put you meat down, relish that hot sizzle, and DO NOT MOVE IT for several minutes. This will ensure you get those trademark grill lines which scream SUMMER and YUM more than anything else. Flip it when you think it is about 60% cooked. Then again, DON'T MOVE IT until it's done, but remember to LET IT REST before slicing. About 7 minutes is good.

2) VEGGIES: Using a grill basket for veggies saves lots of time and trouble. Tossing them in a quick oil and balsamic or Asian dressing will add amazing flavor too. Either way, keep the veggies to the SIDE of the grill. They are far more delicate than meat, and do not need the same intense heat.

3) FISH: Get one or two large, fresh piece with the skin still on. Make sure your grill is very hot, then rub a bit of oil on both the grill and the fish skin. Season your fish, place it SKIN DOWN on the HOT grill, and do not touch it for about 12-14 minutes or until done (of course this depends on size. I'm referring vaguely to a large piece big enough for perhaps 4-5 people, of average thickness.) You can tell your fish is done by the color of the flesh. Using a metal spatula, have a platter ready, and slide the spatula along under the flesh, LEAVING THE SKIN stuck to the grill (it will easily burn and scrub off later) and your fish should come off with no trouble, and taste fantastic too.

4) SAUCES AND SPICE: There are millions of super easy marinades you can make for anything you are about to grill. Just five minutes of online research will offer you so many fast ideas to flavor your meals this summer. Soak the food in a covered dish with the marinate for a as long as possible before cooking but be sure to DISCARD the marinade unless you cook it down, as it will have bacteria from the raw meat or seafood. If used only for veggies, you are fine to keep it and serve it with the grilled food.

Dig in and enjoy your grill this season!

Do you enjoy grilling? Do you have any great quick tips to share?

© iStockphoto.com/ Liliboas

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alliesmom112
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

DH is the griller in our family. I agree the key is a great piece of meat with just simple seasoning. 

alliesmom112
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I love grilled veggies. It is one of my favorite things about the summer. Going out to the garden and picking fresh veggies and throwing them on the grill. YUMMY!!

sukainah
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Yummy, you just made me hungry LOL.

Yes, my DH does the grilling and is not too great at it, but it's okay.  I've heard of aluminum foil packets for veggies and other items.  I've never tried it, but they sound really good.  Another thing to search online for and you will find it!

goddess99
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I think I like grilling more than dh. We keep it simple too but there's usually more fruit and veggies on the grill than meat.

Madelaine
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

My husband does the grilling usually.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I don't do the grilling, dh does a great job. My best tip would be to line a grilling basket with foil to do fish 

4kidz916
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I do love to grill.  Thanks for the tips. 

mrswillie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Quoting alliesmom112:

DH is the griller in our family. I agree the key is a great piece of meat with just simple seasoning. 

Dh does most of ours also.

mrswillie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We have a grill pan we use for veggies.

sukainah
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I'll have to suggest that to my husband.  He likes fish and might like to grill it someday.

Quoting elasmimi:

I don't do the grilling, dh does a great job. My best tip would be to line a grilling basket with foil to do fish 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)