Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

There are few things in life I love more than a great summer BBQ with my family. We are big grillers, the kind who will stay up all night to slow-smoke that pork shoulder, make our own rubs and mops and sauces, and will cook 9 hours to make silly sandwich. Yes, we are those fools. But the upside of this dysfunction is that I have a bit of BBQ wisdom to impart to you. Here are some of the best quick BBQ tips I could think of to share with you. I hope you enjoy some spectacular grilled food this summer too!

1) STEAK OR CHOPS: Keep it simple. Really, people, here's a secret. You can cook and slave all day, but in the end, if you do it right, a simple steak with salt and pepper and some fresh veggies grilled just right will taste just as amazing as anything can taste. Get a good, fresh piece of meat. We love skirt or ribeye steaks for special occasions. Season well. Fire up your grill and make sure it's hot but the flame is not too high. Put you meat down, relish that hot sizzle, and DO NOT MOVE IT for several minutes. This will ensure you get those trademark grill lines which scream SUMMER and YUM more than anything else. Flip it when you think it is about 60% cooked. Then again, DON'T MOVE IT until it's done, but remember to LET IT REST before slicing. About 7 minutes is good.

2) VEGGIES: Using a grill basket for veggies saves lots of time and trouble. Tossing them in a quick oil and balsamic or Asian dressing will add amazing flavor too. Either way, keep the veggies to the SIDE of the grill. They are far more delicate than meat, and do not need the same intense heat.

3) FISH: Get one or two large, fresh piece with the skin still on. Make sure your grill is very hot, then rub a bit of oil on both the grill and the fish skin. Season your fish, place it SKIN DOWN on the HOT grill, and do not touch it for about 12-14 minutes or until done (of course this depends on size. I'm referring vaguely to a large piece big enough for perhaps 4-5 people, of average thickness.) You can tell your fish is done by the color of the flesh. Using a metal spatula, have a platter ready, and slide the spatula along under the flesh, LEAVING THE SKIN stuck to the grill (it will easily burn and scrub off later) and your fish should come off with no trouble, and taste fantastic too.

4) SAUCES AND SPICE: There are millions of super easy marinades you can make for anything you are about to grill. Just five minutes of online research will offer you so many fast ideas to flavor your meals this summer. Soak the food in a covered dish with the marinate for a as long as possible before cooking but be sure to DISCARD the marinade unless you cook it down, as it will have bacteria from the raw meat or seafood. If used only for veggies, you are fine to keep it and serve it with the grilled food.

Dig in and enjoy your grill this season!

Do you enjoy grilling? Do you have any great quick tips to share?

© iStockphoto.com/ Liliboas

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-27):
jessicasmom1
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Yum I am the only one here to grill simple seasoning is right and let meat stand before carving

timon95
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

the only tip i have is "don't burn it" :) yes, we enjoy grilling!

Bmat
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I agree with keep it simple.  When people are eating grilled food at a party, simple is a plus.

4kidz916
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Agreed.  I like to grill when I have guests over because people seem to expect a more simple meal when it's grilled. 

Quoting Bmat:

I agree with keep it simple.  When people are eating grilled food at a party, simple is a plus.

MamaMandee
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I love food off the grill!!!

dusky_rose
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM

When I bbq ribs on the electric grill, I can't put the bbq sauce (because it burns to the grill) so after the ribs are cooked I put the ribs on a broiler pan, put sauce on them and let the broiler cook it the rest of the way on. That way the whole house doesn't get hot by cooking the ribs in the oven for the whole amount of time.

Madelaine
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Great list!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)