Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mama's Supertool -- The iPad

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay, so I've rounded up supertools for our kiddos - the domino, the bucket, the jump rope. But sometimes, Mama needs a supertool. Like when she needs to call the doctor about that prescription, fix dinner, and clean that weird-looking red goop of mysterious origin off of the entry way floor. Sure, Mama can flick on the TV and flip to Team Umizoomi or Wild Kratts...but, sometimes, sometimes, Mama needs a different supertool.

Enter the app. It may be educational or entertaining, but there are some that are both. Now, the whole gadget-should-kids-use-them convo is a little loaded, but I ran across this book the other day -- Toddlers on Technology. It's written by three women: an educator, a neuropsychologist and a former Wall Street-maven-turned-stay-at-home-mom, and they introduce cool hints on how to keep a balanced approach with technology, how to fit it in as a part of our kiddos' worlds in a healthy way. They break down tips on finding out what kind of learner your child is, so you can then pick the right apps for him. It's kinda-sorta really fascinating and a must-read for every mama. Bonus hint: bookmark their web site, as they'll have more info and new app reviews as they groove along.

In the meantime, I've discovered a few apps on my iPad supertool that Kiddo loves and that makes this Mama happy when I'm up to my eyebrows in Life and the pasta is boiling over:

Toca Band -- The makers of Toca Band make a few apps Kiddo adores, but this one taps into her obsession with music. There are 16 cute characters your child can place on the virtual stage, each with a different sound. Kids play composer and mix 'em up, creating a variety of tunes via solo acts, duets, or mega-rockin' ensembles.

Junior Astronaut -- With amazingly cool graphics, your Neil Armstrong-wannabe can learn about space, space travel, and every out-of-this-world thing that goes with that. Think forces, gravity, aerodynamics and a whole universe-full more. Heavy on story, but totally interactive, kids learn as they explore each facet of the app. Heckadoo, they can even build their own rocket!

Math Motion: Wings -- A huge favorite in our house, this app teaches math in a visual way. Fly your bird along to look for its lost feathers via tilting the iPad. As your child flies the bird, she must pass through the group of shapes that is the greater number. Throughout the fun, kids pick up a conceptual way to learn number strategy for multiplication. Trust me, your kid won't even know she's doing math.  

What are your kids' favorite apps? How often do you let your kiddo play on your phone or iPad?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

We have an iPad that is for our family and we all have apps on it. My kids have a few they play regularly but they don't spend too much time on it, usually while they are waiting for something ..like ds therapy or dd's dance lessons..dr. Appts.. Dinner to be ready, etc... 

lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I have a iPad, but my dd never plays on it.  She has a Leappad and Ds to play games on.

Bob192
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Right now they only occasionally use my phone for games.  I need to find some leaning apps like these!!

.Angelica.
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:36 AM

we don't have an ipad or any other tablet :(

GwenMB
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Those look like good apps to check out!

My boys' favorite app is called mini-animals & shows pictures& names of many animals along with a link to a you tube video about the animal. Many of the videos are produced by the Cincinnati zoo and feature the director Thane Maynard. My boys like Thane now & last summer we went through Cincinnati so we could see the zoo (it's a nice zoo! ) and meet Thane. He was happy to know that my boys enjoy the "zoo-tube" videos. I got a picture of Thane w my oldest son, which was cool!
sukainah
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Cool apps, but we don't have a smartphone or iPad. :-(

kellynh
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM

My kids aren't allowed near my iPad.... Of else!! Lol

elasmimi
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Right now she is addicted to mine craft

TerriC
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM
They play on their kindles mostly, but they know they can only play for 30-45 minutes maybe twice a day. They love looking up funny animals and kids on YouTube. They love any app with animals or science.
Bmat
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I don't have a device that has apps. Some day...    Meanwhile I am intrigued by the Toca Band app.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)