Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sprinkler Summer Soirees

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

Here in NYC, we don't have yards, really. We have one big communal yard called Central Park...or Riverside Park...or Bryant Park. One thing our big communal yard and yours have in common aside from the grass: sprinklers. At many of our playgrounds, there's a bit of a water fun element, a sprinkler area. We bring a suit and water shoes and, on these hot and steamy days, it is awesome.

When your kids say, "Hey, Mom!!?? Can we play in the sprinkler?" Try one of these cool games all of you can play while cooling off:

-- Pirates, Mermaids, Scuba Divers: Tap into some imaginative play with that sprinkler. Someone is a pirate guarding the sprinkler treasure. Place some objects that can get wet around the sprinkler and see if you can sneak them from the pirate's grasp. Channel you inner mermaids, your inner scuba divers, and create some new world in the backyard.

-- Fill up Fun: If you have an oscillating sprinkler, this is a goodie. Each kiddo has a cup and takes a position within the sprinkler's aim. The first one to fill up her cup wins -- but the kicker is you can't move your feet! Reach, stretch, but don't spill a drop!

-- Obstacles, Oh My: Set up an obstacle course (weave through flipped over buckets, hop over shovels, dodge the sprinkler or go through it, head under the folding chair) and set a timer and see how fast your kids can complete it.

-- Catch with a Catch: When that ball gets wet, it will be tough to catch. Toss a ball back and forth and see if you can keep it going. Perhaps grab those tennis rackets and see how that works with a big rubber ball.  

-- Bath Toy Parade: Go get those bath toys and make a parade or use as obstacles or invent a whole new universe with them, create a movie, really, possibilities are endless.

How do your kids play in the sprinkler? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Bmcent1

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM

My kids used to love playing in the sprinkler, but I always limited the time they spent so we didn't waste water.  Now we usually do water balloons instead. 

goddess99
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Sprinklers aren't that big of a deal here, my dd just runs through them. But she has access to pools and Lake MI is just a few blocks away.

lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM

My dd likes to play at the sprinkler pole in the park.  

TerriC
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM

They do try to see who can fill up a container fastest.  Also, who can jump over the water the highest.  They have made up so many sprinkler games, they are in their own little world.  lol

sukainah
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Those are good ideas.  We don't really have a sprinkler, but we have a big ball that is kind of a sprinkler.  They take didn't take much interest in it lol

Madelaine
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

They just run through it at this point since they are younger.

sukainah
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

They do waste a lot of water!  We do water balloons occasionally too.

Quoting 4kidz916:

My kids used to love playing in the sprinkler, but I always limited the time they spent so we didn't waste water.  Now we usually do water balloons instead. 

sukainah
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

There is a sprayground here that we went to once.  They loved it!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

My dd likes to play at the sprinkler pole in the park.  

KaylaMillar
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM
They play more in their. Pool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

We haven't used a sprinkler in a few years but my son use to love this one, below. He would just drag all of his toys into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)