Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cool Ways to Celebrate the Fourth

Posted by   + Show Post

It was bound and determined to happen. The Katy Perry song Firework has been played a few times a day this week...and it's only Tuesday. With the Fourth of July a mere 48 hours away, we're gearing up for some spectacular fun. A grill-out, maybe some swimming, gathering with buddies...all are on the list.

What else can you and the brood do to make this fourth a special one? Oh don't you worry, I've got a few ideas!

-- Bake a birthday cake. It's America's birthday, right? So why not celebrate it as such. Break out the cake recipe (or that boxed mix) and go to town. Use vanilla frosting and red and blue sprinkles or blueberries and strawberries to top it. Make birthday cards and birthday posters. Sing Happy Birthday. You know the drill.

-- Tell some Fourth of July funnies. Break out the joke book and tell everyone at the annual BBQ some rather pun-ny jokes. Your kids will get the folks giggling. Here are a few:

Q: Why did the duck say bang?
A: Because he was a firequacker!

Q: What's red, white and blue?
A: A sad candy cane!

Q: Does Europe have a 4th of July?
A: Yes, it does. It comes right after the 3rd of July.

Q: What did Polly the parrot want for the 4th of July?
A: A fire cracker

Q: What did one flag say to the other flag?
A: Nothing, it just waved.

-- Make patriotic friendship bracelets. Grab some yarn or narrow ribbons in red white and blue and have our kiddos braid a bunch of varying lengths.  We just braid them, but you can get a little fancier, but still totally easy with the tutorial over at Pioneer Woman. Pass them out to guests -- or even set up a stand and sell them, with proceeds going to organizations that help support our troops like the Wounded Warrior Project or Operation Gratitude.

What do you do on the Fourth of July?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Damedeeso 

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
Madelaine
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Thanks!

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

We go to the beach, camping or a cook out/party

aneela
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

we are gonna make a craft that day

Bob192
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Those are different and fun.  We usually do some kind of BBQ and spend time outside.

GwenMB
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM

We will probably just stay home & unpack & clean from our almost 3 week road trip.

I did make a flag cake last year. It was cake balls dipped in red, white or blue candy coating.

.Angelica.
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM

those are some corny jokes! lol

.Angelica.
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM

oh, and we used to go to the fort to watch the big fireworks show every year, but my son's first fourth was the last time we went (so, 4 years ago now...) they stopped doing the big one. so now I've just sat at home pretty much. that's my plans this year too. pretty sad.

Wish2Be
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I used to go to a peir that faced the city....

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)