Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This red, white and blue week is all about fireworks and flags, playtime and parades, burgers and backyards. It's a time when almost everyone has the day off, families gather and enjoy some free time. You may be spending some time in the car traveling to where your fun make take place -- perfect opportunity to share some fun Fourth of July Facts with your kids. See what neat info we unearthed about this festive and patriotic holiday!

-- We should be celebrating on July 2. Though John Hancock put his famous signature on the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, the official vote to declare independence happened two days before that on July 2. 

-- John Hancock made his signature that big on purpose. He didn't always go around scrawling his name that large. He did it so that King George II in England would not need his reading glasses to read it.

-- The Liberty Bell wasn't cracked on Fourth of July...nor was it rung on that day either. It was first rung on July 8, 1776 to honor the first public reading of that famous document. When did it crack? When it was rung again in 1846 for George Washington's birthday.

-- Bristol, Rhode Island carries the title of the oldest celebration for July 4. There has been an official parade and festivities there every year since 1785.

-- Apple pie isn't from America. I know, it is almost tough for me to type those words, but "American as apple pie" just doesn't ring true. Apple pie originated in countries and cultures that came to the United States with early immigrants.

-- Uncle Sam was a real person, probably. A meat packer by the name of Samuel Wilson provided meat to the U.S. army back in the early 1800s. They were stamped with a "US" and a joke was made that the meat was sent from Uncle Sam...and many years later, that joke evolved into Uncle Sam standing for the government.

Do your kids love trivia and history? Which of these fun facts surprised you?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Eurobanks

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
aneela
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

love these...i was just looking up stuff to put on a sheet for our homeschool stuff :)

aneela
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

had to giggle about the apple pie bit

countrygirlkat
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM

My kids love to learn new things all the time!  I didn't know about the apple pie.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

interesting 

Charizma77
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Interesting!

Rushn311
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Not sure but I find it interesting

GwenMB
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My boys love history! We actually visited the Liberty Bell in Philly on our road trip (which we got home from today).  There, I learned that historians doubt the Liberty Bell was actually rung for the reading of the Declaration of Independence because the steeple was in bad condition.  This myth comes from a story written for the Saturday Currier in 1847.

On this trip, I also learned the story of the real Uncle Sam.  Fun story!

The Bristol, RI July 4 celebration fact is neat!  It would be fun to be a part of the oldest celebration some day.

ceciliam
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

My son likes, History.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)