Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kiddo has a BFF who just happens to have a little patch of outdoors attached to her NYC abode and whenever the weather is decent, the gals head out there to hang, play, reenact scenes from My Little Pony. Among one of their favorite things to do: create habitats for any creepy crawlies they find, which are basically various versions of the ant population. I know she and her bud are not the only six-year-olds who find those little tri-segmented dudes rather fascinating.

Ants are beyond pretty cool -- they are amazing creatures, though I‘m not sure I'd want an ant farm in the abode. When your kiddo gets into them, following them around your yard, you can turn that call of "Hey Mom, I found an ant!" into a whole afternoon adventure.

Some Ant Fun Facts

-- Ants work together because it is part of their strict social structure. Those colonies can have up to a million ants, and each ant has a specific job. 

-- The three segments of their bodies are the head, thorax and abdomen.

-- Each leg has a two-pronged claw that helps ants to climb.

-- Ants are found everywhere in the world except on Antarctica.

-- Ants are lead by a female ant called the queen, whose only purpose is to lay eggs. And did you know the workers ants are also all female?

-- Ants can lift up to 50 times their weight!

Make some ants of your own

What can be better than making your own ants? There are a few fun crafty ideas to create a whole army of f-ant-astic ants. I like this one from Danielle's Place, with two spoons connected with pipe cleaners (pipe cleaners are also used as feet). She suggests using a glue gun to affix the eyes, but I think you can make do with just regular glue.

Or check out this cute way to reuse toilet paper rolls I spotted over on Puppy Dog Tails. Just cut them to make the body sections, color them black or red or even rainbow colors, add some pipe cleaner legs and googley eyes, and you are done!

Do your kids love ants? Which insect are they fascinated with? Any other ant fun to add? 

©iStockphoto.com/ CherylEDavis 

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
arpazia
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Mother of...! The pain! Ugh, fire ants.

Quoting sanj1213:

IKR! Their bites are torture. 

Quoting arpazia:

Cute!

Ants are evil!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Cute crafts
timon95
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM

tfs

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM

They like squishing ants.  Especially if they find them inside.

They take care of roly polies when they see them. 

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM

The crafts ARE really cute :)

ceciliam
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM

My son is fascinated with spiders.

Wish2Be
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM

If the Queen is female and the worker ants are female....where the heck are the males ?

Rushn311
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM

My son loves ants but will not step on an ant hill because that's a no no. I've had them crawl up my leg accidentally stepping on one.

.Angelica.
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:21 AM

cute

pittymama
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:23 AM

no ants here, 13 months old. i'm hoping she doesn't ever like any type of insect or bug.. haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)