Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Create An At-Home Animal Safari

Posted by   + Show Post

What is your kid's favorite animal? I'd be curious to see if any of them are pet-type animals - cats, dogs, bunnies...or more jungle or exotic creatures, like elephants, monkeys, kangaroos, koala bears, dolphins. And then there are those kiddos that will name a list of 14 animals from across the globe that he can't quite decide on, and that on any given day, he'd be obsessed with at least three of them.

As the heat has been crazy in certain parts of the country and rainy in other parts, many of us have been indoors lately. The next time you are stuck inside, why not tap into that love of animals and make your own at-home safari. How to make it happen? Here are a few ideas!

-- Watch Wild Kratts, the awesome PBS show that explores creatures from all over the world, or Madagascar or The Lion King....anything with cool animals to study how they move or what kinds of watering holes they need. Look up those animals you may not be as familiar with (fun fact: a Meer cat is not really a feline, it is a mongoose). 

-- Put those stuffed animals to work. You know you have a gazillion and one of them just sitting there - perfect actors for your safari. Set them up around the abode, and have the kids make signs for each area, as well as road posts pointing the way so safari folks know how to reach the watering hole or jungle. Dig out those binoculars and have the kids go around and take picture on your phone. Bonus hint: practice your best accent and act as guide - or have one of the kids be the guide for the group.

-- Draw your own animals. . If you don't have a stuffed lion or crocodile, draw one! One of my best purchases lately was Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals. Here's a little sample of it --

Kiddo loves the book -- it teaches you step by step how to draw almost any animal you can think of...she's decorated the front door to our apartment with creatures from around the world.

What are your kids' favorite animals? Share a picture of any animal drawings they have made!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ jgroup

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-15):
goddess99
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM

My dd likes "trying" to draw horses, dogs, and cats.

Charizma77
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

My dd loves animals, I was looking up zoo room ideas but a wild life theme could be fun as well. My dd's favorite animal is a cat, my oldest ds is a cow and my youngest ds is a monkey.

Wish2Be
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

We love Wild Krattz ! They are great ! 

Oddly enough when I ask my 3.5 year old what his favorite animal is he says its a Dragon :)

I asked him what is his next favorite animal and he said a Hippo !

TerriC
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM

My oldest loves giraffes and my youngest loves zebra's.  Their bedrooms look like the Serengeti!  LOL

TerriC
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

A dragon, that is so cute!!!  =-)

Quoting Wish2Be:

We love Wild Krattz ! They are great ! 

Oddly enough when I ask my 3.5 year old what his favorite animal is he says its a Dragon :)

I asked him what is his next favorite animal and he said a Hippo !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)