Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY Upholstered Box Spring

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 572 Total Views

DIY Upholstered Box Spring

When we moved into our new home, we went from having zero guest bedrooms to having two guest bedrooms. That meant two new beds, bedding, and furniture for two complete rooms. (Not to mention the other rooms we needed furniture for!!) I promised my hubby I would decorate on a "budget." 

We upgraded to a king size bed for our master bedroom so we put our old queen size bed, complete with a  bed frame, into one bedroom and got another mattress and box spring for the other room but did not have a bed frame. Then I saw this on Pinterest and fell in love {sigh}. Since this tutorial was too complicated for a simple minded gal with absolutely zero sewing skills such as myself ,  I grabbed the staple gun and went to town. I came up with my own, less "fancy" way of upholstering a box spring. I LOVE the way it turned out and it was super easy!!

Supplies:
Fabric of your choice
8 Screw in furniture legs (I purchased mine at Lowe's)
Drill
Staple Gun & Staples (Note: We used 5/16 & 9/16 staples.)

Here is what I did:

First, drill holes in the box spring slightly smaller then the screws on the furniture legs. We had to cut away some of the fabric and padding to get to the wood. We screwed three on either side of the bed and two on the center piece of wood for support. {Scroll down to the pic below see the exact placement of legs.} 

Cut the fabric to fit your size bed. I had no idea the dimensions of our bed and so I totally guessed at how much fabric I needed. I think I purchased about 5 yards which was plenty. I used a very standard cotton fabric and it worked perfectly. *UPDATE* To clarify, you will need one piece of fabric for each side of the box spring for a total of four pieces of fabric. Make sure you have a few inches extra on each side and at least a few inches on each end for the "pleat."

Cut about four three inch wide pieces of fabric and cover each corner. Staple at the top and bottom to secure fabric.  

To cover the sides, fold the end of your fabric like a pleat and place it in the center of the corner of your mattress and secure on the top and bottom with staples.

Staple all the way down both sides of the mattress pulling the fabric tight as you go (definitely need two people for this one.) 

We placed the staples about an inch apart. 

Trim off the access fabric (No, it does NOT have to pretty, no one will ever see it!!) 

For the corners, fold your fabric into a pleat and meet it up exactly with the other piece of fabric. Secure at the top and bottom. When you are done, the two sides will pull apart a bit to show the center piece if fabric.

It will end up looking like this. Swanky ;)

Screw the legs into the holes and you are done!(I painted my furniture legs white. I was CLEARLY too lazy to paint the legs that no one would see!!)

Noooooow... I need to finish the rest of the room!!!

by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
PinkCamoTeamMud
by Candice on May. 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM
That is so cute!
mikemantha
by Mary-Co Owner on May. 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I so want to do this! Our bed frame sucks like bad.

Quoting PinkCamoTeamMud:

That is so cute!
PinkCamoTeamMud
by Candice on May. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM
So does ours, it keeps roiling across the floor. We have hardwood in our bedroom. We have wheels on ours. I have no clue how the come off. I have the box spring covered w a fitted sheet right now to hide it

Quoting mikemantha:

Quoting PinkCamoTeamMud:

That is so cute!
mikemantha
by Mary-Co Owner on May. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

That's better than ours. Ours is a Cali king and the frame we got has no middle stand so we had to put bricks under it amd c clamps to help hold it up lol. I heard using a fitted for bix spring to cover it. I actually need to do that . I got tired of putting the skirt on cuz the dogs would pee on it

Quoting PinkCamoTeamMud:

So does ours, it keeps roiling across the floor. We have hardwood in our bedroom. We have wheels on ours. I have no clue how the come off. I have the box spring covered w a fitted sheet right now to hide it

Quoting mikemantha:

Quoting PinkCamoTeamMud:

That is so cute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN