Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY Birdbath with Bling

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 1128 Total Views

Birdbath Bling

Learn this now: I'm cheap. I wanted a birdbath, but I also wanted something unusual, and I definitely wanted inexpensive. So a quick trip to Walmart was all I needed to gather the following:

14 inch terra cotta saucer $7
12 inch terra cotta saucer $5
Three 8 inch terra cotta pots $1 each
Apple Green spray paint $2.67
I bag of flat backed glass marbles $1.99

I always keep Plumbers Goop on hand. It dries clear, is waterproof, and stays slightly flexible, so it's the perfect adhesive for projects like this.
First, spray the inside of the large saucer with Spa Blue spray paint and let it dry.Next, assemble the three 8 inch pots as shown with the large saucer on the bottom using Plumber's Goop liberally. You want this to be a very sturdy seal. Let this dry as directed. Next, spray the whole thing Apple Green using three thin coats to avoid runs. Let dry completely.

Now it's time for some bling! I used a few shell shaped flat backed marbles for the top row, and aqua clear marbles for the rest. These are also applied with Goop, holding each one for about ten seconds. See if any of the children lying around your house are bored and invite them to volunteer for this.

Ta Da!

I did the shells around the rim of the 14 inch saucer, a spaced circle of the aqua marbles around the center pots, and then a tight ring around the base, but you can be creative and use as much or as little of the shiny stuff as you want. Let this set for about an hour, then flip over your birdbath, find the ideal spot in your yard, and enjoy! Total cost, under $20.
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
PinkCamoTeamMud
by Candice on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I like this idea. I have a few pots that mil left behind that I've been eyeing to do this with. I just have to get the paint, stones and glue now. Oh and the saucer. So it will def be under $20
mikemantha
by Mary-Co Owner on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I want to see pictures! I wish had the stuff for this. I could probably make a smaller version of this tho but way small scale lol

Quoting PinkCamoTeamMud:

I like this idea. I have a few pots that mil left behind that I've been eyeing to do this with. I just have to get the paint, stones and glue now. Oh and the saucer. So it will def be under $20

RockstarMommi
by Owner-Sarah on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Fun! :)
MomTiara19
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow...never thought of that.

Very clever and cute idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)