Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

COOLEST DIY Flooring !

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 921 Total Views
1 mom liked this

my fancy bathroom floor

look! look! a post about something i have actually done in the house, not just am planning to do or idly dreaming about!

lack of funds and creative fussiness on both our parts led to an experimental and untested idea for our bathroom floor. there are no before photos, as for nearly four years, it was plywood painted with purple fence paint and spattered with various paints and adhesives as we very slowly made progress with the walls (unphotographable!).

mr lc wanted a green and white tiled floor like in the crash rooms in ER, i wanted to get some kind of patterned real linoleum, so we compromised and i screen-printed the floor!! my parents had covered a kitchen table with brown grocery bags and varnished it in the past so i figured along those lines and if it didn't work i could get my linoleum.

i have been using this pattern in black and white for years and we both love it, it is featured in a few places around our home already.

first i papered the floor with thickest lining paper and waterproof PVA, then tiled with the screen-printed thick art paper, and 3 layers of the PVA.  we may need to put a coat of boat varnish over the PVA as it still goes a bit cloudy when it gets drops of water on it, which does tend to happen a lot in a bathroom.

it does look ACE though!! now i just need to get a blind or some kind of "window treatment" so i can stop giving the neighbours a peep-show of an evening!!
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
PinkCamoTeamMud
by Candice on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Kinda groovy lol
mikemantha
by Mary-Co Owner on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Lol but yeah groovy is the right word! I like the idea.. I've been looking up how to paint tile because our tile is UUUUUGGGGLLLLYYYY cracked and the grout is stained... Ripping it heading out sucks lol 

Quoting PinkCamoTeamMud:

Kinda groovy lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)