Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have kids/teens/grandkids who like to cook or who want to learn?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:14 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 340 Total Views

I've got two teens, a boy and a girl.  My girl hates all things cooking and kitchen related.  But, she will at least concede that cooking is a necessary skill that she needs.  She just really dislikes it.  My boy however, is quite interested in cooking and will quite often offer to cook supper, as long as I'm available to give him some verbal instructions here and there while he does it.  And I have to say, his cooking skills are coming right along.  I wish my daughter would get on board a bit more, but at least I have one kid who enjoys cooking.

by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Out of my five kids, 3 liked cooking as kids/teens.  Of the other 2, the adult child now does a lot of the cooking for his family, and the teen...well, he knows how to use the microwave. 

V.XV
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM
My girls always say that they want to learn until I get everything out, then they change their minds.
mrsniebo
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:54 PM
My oldest is 5 and occasionally helps in the kitchen, but doesn't have the attention span to help with a recipe from start to finish. My 2 year old likes baking with me and will stand on a chair by me to help. Hopefully as they get older, they'll both develop an interest in cooking.
Saphira1207
by on Jan. 24, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Cooking skills are mandatory here, like it or not.  My youngest makes a killer chocolate chip cookie.  My oldest can do some simple things like his brother, but isn't as good at cookies.

But my dad was a pro chef for over 50 years, so none of us, either his kids or grands, have had a choice in learning to cook.  It's the family "business".

MissMackiesgg
by on Jan. 25, 2016 at 1:41 PM

My oldest son does the cooking at their house. I have 5 grandgirls and a couple of years ago I gave them all cookbook binders filled with recipes. I made sure to stick a lot of the family recipes from grandmas, great grandmas, and great great grandmas. Aunts, uncles, cousins.....ect.

Jazzylady1
by on Jan. 25, 2016 at 1:51 PM
So far half of our adult children love to cook. Three adult grandchildren are obsessed with cooking and are very good.
I also taught them many family recipes,besides .y sisters and I have a cook book "Six sisters, plus six brothers" we compiled for our families,
Check out Groupon.com. they are running a deal with Blue Apron, its a great deal. This would be great for the teens to learn "HOW" To cook a great dinner or three! Everything needed comes packaged for several meals for two or six people. It dirt cheap on "Groupon"
RIPCORD
by Member on Jan. 26, 2016 at 12:02 PM
My oldest three 10, 8, and 3 love to cook. They always want to help out. Even my 3 yr old gets her step stool and wants to mix things. My twins are only 6 months so not yet haha! Its funny though because I honestly hated cooking for the longest time. Then when nursing 3 yr old she had a dairy sensitivity so I really had to explore my options on what to cook and bake and I just got into so many new foods. Now I love it. One of my favorite shows is chopped.
ShaMac
by on Jan. 30, 2016 at 9:27 PM
My 13 year old likes o cook. She has always helped me in the kitchen and in the last few years she has branched out to do her own thing. Last year she started taking responsibility for some dinners. Last summer she made jam for the first time.
Pink.Frosting
by Group Owner on Jan. 30, 2016 at 9:50 PM

I love this idea.  I need to do this for my kids.  I know my son would love it and I think even though my daughter doesn't enjoy cooking, she would appreciate having all the old family recipes.

Quoting MissMackiesgg:

My oldest son does the cooking at their house. I have 5 grandgirls and a couple of years ago I gave them all cookbook binders filled with recipes. I made sure to stick a lot of the family recipes from grandmas, great grandmas, and great great grandmas. Aunts, uncles, cousins.....ect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)