Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

You're Divorced!! Do NOT give Me Marriage Advice!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
8 moms liked this

Seriously!!  how stupid does someone have to be??  if you've been divorced 3 times, you have NO business giving someone in a long term marriage any advice....get a grip..not all marriages turned out like yours!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM
10 moms liked this

Never close your mind to info, you may learn something you didnt know before.

I'm betting you have already learned something from the 3x'er....not to do the things they did. =)

AleaKat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree but I also believe that some DO believe some people learn from their mistakes. You can listen to the advice whether you take it is up to you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My dad is divorced from his first wife. Thank GOD they never had any kids together cause bitch was CRAZY(seriously she killed her father and buried him in her backyard), but he's been married to my mom for 26 years now and still says he is the love of her life and the apple of his eye(hes cheesy). I'd take marriage advice from him.
I probably would take it from someone whos been divorced many times too.. just to see what they did or what their exs did wrong so I could avoid those issues.

Mocking.Jay
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM
7 moms liked this
Wouldn't that mean they're MORE experiences since they've been married to many kinds of men with different personalities???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM
8 moms liked this

Someone who has been divorced (regardless of how many times) can have some pretty sage advice.  You have no idea what kind of men they've been married to.  I was married to a very abusive man.  Took me a looong time to get out.  I spent a looong time trying to fix it.  Only to finally come to the realization that you can't "fix" someone else.

The experiences I have been through make for some very good guidelines, whether for myself in the future, or for someone else.

So, this person you claim to be giving you advice, that's been divorced 3 times, just might have some good advice.  Advice on what to look out for, what NOT to do, etc.

Remember, experience is the best teacher.  But, a teacher is only good if the student pays attention and learns.  Whether it be from good experiences or mistakes.

Most importantly, you are posting on CM.  You can't pick and choose who responds to your posts.  But, you can pick and choose what information you want to absorb and what you choose to do with it.

CotterpinDoozer
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I think it depends on what the advice is and often it's offered really. Sure you can learn something from someone who's been divorced, but if she's coming at you like "Oh you shouldn't do it that way, I did it like this..." then I can understand being a little irritated if she does it a lot. However, if she's just offering you general advice, I'd try not to get to worked up about it.

catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as they are not demanding you take their advice there is no harm in listening.

working-girl
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

On the contrary... I feel as though I could learn a lot from her.

TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM
3 moms liked this
I learned more about relationships by what I did wrong than what I did right. I learned a LOT from my failed marriage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

You could listen to all the things they did wrong. Never hurts to learn from someone else's mistakes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)