Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Parents Who Coddle

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

I hate that....the whiney voice they use--'come one honey, dont' you want to pick up your toys?' in a singsong voice...drives me nuts....it's like i wanna shake 'em an say, 'tell them to do it, don't ask them their permission'..parents nowadays are too into being their kid's friend, instead of a parent. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilbit53009
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM
hahahah...I hate that too. I swear my son knew how to talk well really early cause ive always just talked to him like a person not a baby...even when he was a baby. I hate that baby talk!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I dont see that as coddling them...now if Mom would have said, "You dont want to pick them up, thats ok, Mommy will do it" that to me is coddling.

BlessedBeX3
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

yeah but parents shouldn't have to sound all deep voiced all the time. I'm a positive person,a nd I sing-song stuff to my kids all the time. "time for lunch" "pick up your toys" why should everything be so negative?

I agree that you shouldn't ask kids if they want to pick up their toys bc thats an open ended question, but the parent shouldn't sound like an ogre doing it lol

20Keller12
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:35 AM
For me baby talk all depends on their age. Once they start talking, I think it's time to quit the baby talk. Cause I don't want my kids thinking that you're supposed to use baby talk all the time.

As for moms being kids friends, YEAH. Drive me up a damn wall. I'm gonna tell my kids the same thing my mom told me. I'm your mom, not your friend. When you're an adult, I'll be your friend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Oh does that drive me nuts! I know a mom who constantly praises her kid. "Oh I love the way you are breathing just right." I mean come on. I'm all for praising a child but not constantly. She doesn't even talk to other adults because she's so busy praising him she doesn't have the time! And he makes the decisions too. She asks if he is ready to go, he says no, she asks if 10 more minutes will work for him. Is he the parent or are you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

yes, THAT kind of parent is what i'm talking about...drives me NUTS...esp when i worked in daycare, and some parents i swear, would jump thru hoops and do back flips,  if their kid commanded it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh does that drive me nuts! I know a mom who constantly praises her kid. "Oh I love the way you are breathing just right." I mean come on. I'm all for praising a child but not constantly. She doesn't even talk to other adults because she's so busy praising him she doesn't have the time! And he makes the decisions too. She asks if he is ready to go, he says no, she asks if 10 more minutes will work for him. Is he the parent or are you?

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I hate that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

That doesn't bother me half as much as kissing their ass and letting them do whatever they want as teens. 

ksueditz
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Coddling to me is when my cousin spanked her son w/ one hand, and was using the other to pull him in a hug. Or my sil picking up my nephew while my brother is telling him what he did is wrong.
I can sing-song til the cows come home, as long as my kids have consequences, that do not give mixed signals, I do not think I'm coddling.
.oOMellyOo.
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

That to me is not "coddling" that's called using an annoying voice. Coddling in doing the actual chore for your child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN