Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am going nutz

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

First of all thank goodness it was as easy as it was to join this group. Second of all if anyone would have told me that my parents would expect me to be their parent when they are only 54 I never would have tried to have my own life they are driving me crazy ever sense they got thier divorce. I am constantly put on a guilt trip because my dad has to live alone and he wants to live with me and my family of 5 children and a husband let me mind you and my Mom is always wanting me to sacrifise my time with my kids and husband to make her life easier. I have 5 kids my life is no walk in the park anymore it is constantly on the go and it is not fair for them to expect everything from me too. And they constantly get mad at me if I do something for the other one. agh I need a vacation so bad. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JTE11
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

You do need a vacation, but from them. Your parents are hurting and are taking their frustrations and hurt feelings from the divorce out on you. You are perfectly within your rights to set limits for them, explaining that you are more than happy to visit and spend time with them but you had nothing to do with their divorce and you don't appreciat being on the receiving end of their issues. You have your own life to live and if they pull any BS like guilt trips then they will see even less of you. They need to work through their own issues without getting you involved in that way. It's our jobs as adult kids to kind of look after our parents but they have a responsibility to act like respectful adults, too.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM
That sucks. I'd tell them to stop bickering like little children.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anotherhalf
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Are you an only child? 

Your parents are still young (at least I think so since I'm 43).  They need to get involved in activities they enjoy and make some friends.  You have a big family - of course you are super busy.  Don't let them guilt you into doing anything you don't have time to do or simply don't want to do.

I hope they start to live their own lives again very soon.

catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Boundaries.  Set them now set them hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Quoting anotherhalf:

Are you an only child? 

Your parents are still young (at least I think so since I'm 43).  They need to get involved in activities they enjoy and make some friends.  You have a big family - of course you are super busy.  Don't let them guilt you into doing anything you don't have time to do or simply don't want to do.

I hope they start to live their own lives again very soon.

No I am not the only child. And I agree they do need to live their own life I got my own problem and they have been divorced for 10 years they need to get over it and move on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)