Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being a Single Parent.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

'This is just a question'

Why Do People Judge us for being a Single Parent? 

Example: Someone asked me about my daughter. One of her questions was are you married? It's like her entire attitude change. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Its basic human nature.

I actually don't understand your question.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Hmmm.....I think I need to re-word it.
catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I don't judge women or men for being single parents.  If I'm judging there is a lot more going on.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I think single parents are what they are- parents that are trying to do the best they can (most of them) and that is all. If I have a problem with someone, it has nothing to do with their kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I know one single mom.  I have never judged her, but then again, I have never tried to forge a friendship either.  Probably because we hang out with married couples and I just figured she wouldn't want anything to do with that.  Glad you brought it up - I shouldn't just rule her out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I know the feeling! How about when you get the I'm so sorry you'll find someone blah blah as if they know you to give advice you didn't ask for!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Short answer?  Because they are a-holes.  Some cite religious beliefs or moral beliefs, but it goes against religion and morals to be rude to people just because their life isn't perfect.  Being a single parent is only the end of the world if you make it.  At least you have an easy way to weed out the jerks from the beginning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess that would depend on why one is a single parent.  I've known people on both sides of single parenthood.  There are those who happen to be single parents because a relationship did not work out.  Then there are the ones who constantly sleep around with men who are immature and have no interest in being adults or taking care of adult responsibilities and are surprised and complain to everyone who will listen when the guy bolts and all the parenting falls to them.

Just1Mom
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

The real questions here are:

Why do people judge? - The answer is simple, it is human nature like an earlier mom mentioned, and it is also a cultural thing. Growing up we are taught to judge between right and wrong. If our culture sees being a single parent as being "wrong" it makes us uncomfortable. People's attitudes also change due to differences. It is easy to understand and get a long with someone whose life is similar to yours. It is more difficult relating to someone's life is very different from yours. 

Why do I care if they judge me? - People have judged me too. I have to ask myself why I care. Like so many people, I just want to be liked and loved. I want to feel a part of a group not seperate from it.  When I know that those are the things I need, I care less about others think and just go find what I need, a support group of single parents or good friends who may be in relationships but "get" my situation anyway. 

Being judged is never easy.  I hope you find the support you need. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I have no problem with single parents in general.  What I do have a problem with is people who chose to be a single parent (artificial insemenation...etc) and then don't have time for their child.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)