Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated about my son's lack of friendships and me being sole source of entertainment!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

My 8th grader has only really recently started showing interest in having friends again. He used to have friends a few years ago, but then those frienships faded out. He was close to a few friends, but for whatever reason those kids stopped wanting to hang out with him. He reached out to them repeatedly, and they weren't interested. For the first time in a very long time, today his old friend was going to come over, and called to say he was coming over, but then never did. My son called him a couple times with no response. My son was hurt by this. I just don't want to see him give up on friendship cuz this one kid.. he needs a win in the friendship arena!!

I'm getting tired of being sole source of entertainment too.. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Is he involved in sports or any extracurricular activites?  What does he like to do? Getting him involved with others with the same likes as him may help?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Help him get out and make friends!  Find some clubs and camps that cater to kids who share his interests.  If finances are an issue, ask about scholarships and assistance.  The Y is great for that.  Can he swim well?  Join a swim team.  Swimming can be a great sport for shy kids because you have limited time to interact between sets.  Does he have a male figure in his life?  If yes, maybe have them talk to him.  If no, can you sign him up for a mentor?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I am so sorry he is going through this.This is not an easy age and being there for him can be physically and mentally exhausting on both of you.

I too have a shy 8th grade daughter.I am also probably her best friend.I have my concerns sometimes too...heres how I handle it.

First off I dont make it personal...what I mean is I dont make it about him I make it about kids just being kids and being busy.

I would try to get him involved in an after school activity.Also take him places,travel,visit your friends,video games,batting cages,your family,movie,eat out,book store,do the things you enjoy and take him with you.Just him getting out of the house is good....keeps his mind occupied.

Eventually things should get better.Next year he will be in highschool...may get new friends and put mom on the back burner.Enjoy your son while he still needs you:)

catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Extracurriculars.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Just want to post an update: my son invited a friend over this weekend, and they spent the afternoon hanging out. Yea, it's a win!! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM

i would involve him on other activities outside of school so he has a chance to meet different people

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)