Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

High School admins on power trip

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am so pissed right now.  My son 16 a sophomore came home today and told me that he was called to the office today by the Athletic Director.  Apparently she saw him make a "california stop" or rolling stop at the light a mile away from the school.  Followed him into the lot and then had the Sherrifs deputy run his plates to see who he was.  She told him that since he didn't stop properly that if she caught him parking in the lot again he wouldn't be able to get a parking pass his Jr. or Sr. year.  We did not know that sophomores were barred from driving (parking on school property) even if there is plenty of space....until today....

It's not the first time my son has been in the office for 'discipline' reasons (nothing bad, the worst was he was in a class that a student broke into the computer system and changed grades...my son had nothing to do with it but was interrogated by 5 adults without my knowledge for an hour) and I don't even get the courtesy of a phone call?  They want parental involvement then involve me damn it!  I know my son isn't perfect, I know he probably did a rolling stop, but why so much posturing over petty shit?  Don't they have students that need more attention than this?

I called the school, she had left already so I spoke to the associate principal and basically told him I was pissed and it was petty BS...

I guess I should be glad that this is all the trouble my son is getting  into but I really just want him to be left alone!

Sorry for the vent...but thanks for a place to rant!

Jeanette

"Love is a fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of adversity and grief". -- Anon.
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jadedcynic
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM

We called it a Michigan stop when I was learning how to drive. Of course, they were legal if the intersection was clear there.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

typical of a school trying to bully parents...stick to your guns, and stick up for your son

anotherhalf
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
If your ds's version of events is correct - thats weird all the way around. First, caring so much about a rolling stop, and second, a sheriff running a plate for a citizen (illegal here). I'd definitely talk to her before deciding who to be mad at.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jett286
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM

She had to run his plates since he didn't have a permit issued from the school.  He just got his car and just started driving to school in January, we didn't know you needed a permit to park, unless you were assigned a specific spot.  She should have called him out when they got to the school and told him to watch his driving...but instead waited several hours and then had the campus cop run his plate...I did talk with the assoc principal and they do call parents if they see kids driving recklessly on school property as they should and I would have been less upset if SHE had actually called me this morning...but when I have to call the school when my son comes home and tells me what happened ..... it's frustrating.  They say they want parental involvement, then they should involve me.  We hold our kids to the same standard and if they are wrong we deal with or allow the disciplne that's dealt out....I just don't like the way this was handled and since it's not my first time of having to call the school because they didn't call me it pisses me off.

Quoting anotherhalf:

If your ds's version of events is correct - thats weird all the way around. First, caring so much about a rolling stop, and second, a sheriff running a plate for a citizen (illegal here). I'd definitely talk to her before deciding who to be mad at.

Jeanette

"Love is a fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of adversity and grief". -- Anon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)