Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

YOU GET BREAKS????

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 30 Replies

Recently a friend of mine posted this....

Good waiting on my mother in law to come get my daughter until sunday. Need a vacation from kids but one will due. it's stressful dealing with 2 kids all day,7 days a week.

And I was shocked so you have someone willing to take your son, and you complain about how you want both gone? Then I hear it's common to have breaks from kids so on and so forth, husband rages cause we have two special needs children and no one offers us breaks, or even a night alone. The only time I have been away from my kids is when I am in the hospital, even then there is a cot made up in the room for them and the last few times they stayed with me.

My reponse is I don't know exactly what my husband said but I agree with him mostly. REALLY? Someone please spend a day in my life then tell me how hard their kids are.When people complain they want a break I would love to let them spend 20 minutes with either Leith or Annora then let them count their blessings. OR take them down to Texas Childrens when the kids have one of their appointments and you see a kid brought in on a strecher with a breathing machine attached and tubes everywhere and you want to cry cause that is so horrible, but you don't cause you know if the mother can stand there with a smile on her face what nerve you have for crying.

I was then got blasted cause apparently everyone has the right to complain and everyone needs a break and blah blah blah.. WHY become a mother if you want breaks? I just don't get it. Whatever happened to count your blessings as someone surely has it worse than you. 

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xomrs.chase
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM
O.o its ok to be overwhelmed and its perfectly fine to have some alone time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DaLordsMezNger
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
3 moms liked this
You shouldnt write another persons feelings off just because you assume their struggles arent as bad as yours.
Punkslilncs
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I just don't see how or why any mother needs breaks. I am happy and blessed for my kids to spend alone time, or time away seems silly to me. 

catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Other people aren't you, and you aren't other people.  

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I just don't see how or why any mother needs breaks. I am happy and blessed for my kids to spend alone time, or time away seems silly to me. 

Punkslilncs
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I get that I do. I am seriously wondering though are breaks normal? I love my kids and wanted them so bad to take a day break just makes me go HUH... I dunno I know I have stress, so a break would be nice.. or some calm time. 

Quoting catrig:

Quoting Punkslilncs:

catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Wanting breaks is normal.  Taking breaks from time to time is normal.  

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I get that I do. I am seriously wondering though are breaks normal? I love my kids and wanted them so bad to take a day break just makes me go HUH... I dunno I know I have stress, so a break would be nice.. or some calm time. 

Quoting catrig:

Quoting Punkslilncs:

anotherhalf
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I needed and still need breaks from my son. I don't care if I'm abnormal, it doesn't negatively effect anyone so what does it matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM
4 moms liked this
Do your kids go to school? If so you do get breaks. I homeschool and hubby and I left our kids with my parents this weekend and went on a trip just the two of us. It was good for our marriage and our kids had so much fun. I believe marriages require time and cannot be put on the back burner.
I don't believe in this putting the kids before everything else theory a lot of people have. I believe a happy marriage makes a happy family. Not saying that kids should be neglected but they shouldn't be my whole world. When they grow and move out I would still like a husband by my side and some idea of who I am.
Besides, it's good for the kids to spend some time away from me.
My son has sensory processing disorder, anxiety disorder, and impulse control disorder. He is also highly gifted. He can be a challenge for sure! My daughter does not have any special needs at all. Both have their own challenges and I love them both very much. I will continue to have them go over my parent's so I can have a break. It's good for all of us.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

You are coming off as the type of person that tries to "one up" someone else on the pity train and extremely jealous of your friend.

Anyway, I get 4 breaks a year each one lasting 3-4 days. No kids, no bills, no stress. Its amazing!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I have been there. My son fights a potentially fatal disease every day. Every day I live in fear that his disease will rear its ugly head and he may not come out this time unscathed. I fear that one day I will be burying my son due to his disease or one of his medical conditions. I have been living with that fear for 12 years and I will probably always live with that fear. Being at the hospitals though have taught me that us parents do need breaks from the kids, and our kids need a break from us. There is nothing wrong with that. I watched a family get torn apart because mom refused to take the breaks she so desparately needed. That her husband so desparately wanted her take but she felt she had to be there, she ahd to be the one taking care of their son. She shut him out and the rest of the family who offered to help. Now they are divorced and actually have a visitation schedule set up for when he is hospitalized for treatments. To me that is extremely sad. With what this poor child is going through, he now has parents that can't be in the same room together. Yes, your children are your priority but you also have to take care of yourself and your marriage. Your children will benefit if you make both a priority.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)